Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply

marc_randles

marc_randles

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Should I download this immediately for is it not an absolute must?

Attached Thumbnails

• sp3.JPG

Advertisements

marc_randles

marc_randles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
21 views & no reply?

All I want to know if I should download it or not?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It will be a must eventually.
However it shouldn't hurt to apply it now.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Should I download this immediately for is it not an absolute must?

Do a search on this forum concerning SP3 and the problems people have with it. I got this from Microsoft Support if you don't want SP3 pushed at you any more:

If you don’t want to install it right now, please refer to the following steps to block it so it will not be offered.

1. Download the file from the following link:
Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit
http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

2. Run the file and the SP Blocker Tool window would pop-up.
3. Click Yes and then "Browser" to locate a folder we would use to save the files. For example: C:
4. Click 'OK' and the file would be saved in C:
5. Open My computer and double click to open C drive.
6. Double click to run the "SPBlockingTool.exe" program and we will receive an "Action successfully completed" notice.

After that, SP3 would not be pushed from Windows Update website and Automatic Updates.

I will not install SP3 until I am ready and you never have to install them if tyou don't want to. If an update keeps the Install Shield in your tray, go to the Update site and click on the choice not to show you that update anymore. You can change this at a later date.

Ron

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You will hear different opinions. Mine is not to install XP-3 on a loaded, long running computer. I would say the same thing about SP-2. These are very large installations that quite often end with problems. I only install them on newly formatted computers, doing this from downloads that I burnt to CD's, as a first step after installing XP. Only after that I continue to install other programs.