Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mandriva Help

• Please log in to reply

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I have another post on here for my desktop build, but here are the basics. I have a Gigabyte Mobo, and an EVGA GPU. I am connected, using an ethernet cable, through a D-Link DIR-655 router (I think), to Comcast Broadband Cable ISP. I will probably be getting Vista Home Premium 64bit soon, but until then I want to get this working. I will also keep this installed after getting Vista, and just create 2 partitions (500 GB HDD so definately enough room to do this).

Ok, I got it installed but I have 2 main problems that I need to get fixed first. First off, no internet. I have tried a few different settings, but I can't seem to get it to work. I did not try changing anything on the router for security yet, since I figured I wouldn't need to since this is a direct cable connection.

Second, I have no sound. I figured that this is because I need to install drivers for all of the new hardware.

Should all of the drivers I need be on the CD's provided with the MOBO and Video Card (Video Card not detected either)? Or do I need to find drivers made specifically for Linux on the Internet?

Once that is done, I will be trying to play a few games on it (Albatross 18 and Cabal Online), but I will tackle that issue when the beginning stuff is out of the way.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
alsaconf is the program to configure the sound, at least in older versions.

You can use the command "ifconfig" to check out the network connection. You should have been asked when the install occurred, unless it does not know about those devices. Does your router have DHCP enabled? If not, you will need to configure the IP address and the default route.

Most CDs do not have drivers for Linux, although it seems like many do today, so you would have to look to see if there are any drivers there or search for them on the Internet.