Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help, I can't change my display settings

• Please log in to reply

laura679

laura679

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I reformatted my computer the other day and reinstalled windows xp. Now it wont let me change my display settings. They are stuck on 640 by 480 and color quality is lowest (4 bit). The cursor thing wont let me move it to make it a higher screen resolution and in the drop down box for color quality the only choice is lowest (4 bit)

Please help me fix it :)

Thanx
Laura

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Do you have service pack 2 installed?

If not. Use windows update to get it and that should upgrade your video.

laura679

laura679

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I couldnt find windows service pack 2 so i installed windows service pack 3. does that make a difference? Shoudl i go and get 2?

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello laura679,

Based on my experience, you probably lost your Display Adapter driver, please try to reinstall it.

If you have onboard video, disable in bios.

mirjel

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Can you change your resolution now?

Use Windows Update. Custom Setting and see what shows up.
Install all security updates and post the software and hardware updates here.
Or you can install them, but there is always a risk of loosing functions with those updates.
That's why I asked for a list posted.

Did you get SP 3 from Windows Update?

Edited by cmpm, 10 July 2008 - 04:09 PM.

laura679

laura679

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok do i found and tried to install service pack 2 and then got a message saying the one i already have is newer and there is no need to install this. so i still can't change my display settings. Also im not sure how to reinstall my driver. I went to the device manager and im not sure which one im supposed to install for. My card that i have is a G force and shouldnt that be on the list? Its not :) and whenever i try to update driver for anything on the device manager it always says the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Is there a disk that came with the card?
If so put it in the drive and run the setup.

A G Force video card is upgradeable from where you are now.

Here is a site for your drivers, find the correct number-7300 or whatever.
It is all a series.
4,5,6,7,8,9 series drivers.

If you don't have a disk that came with the card, go here.

http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
To see your particular Video Adapter.
Right click 'My Computer.
Click Properties
Hardware
Device Manager.

Click the + sign next to "Display Adapters".

See screenshot.

And you will see what you have.

You can right click the specific adapter and click on update driver.

You may have to do this with a disk or a download after you put the download in a place you know, like the desktop.
It could mean, for the download that you have to unzip it, by double clicking it and clicking setup.
Or Update driver as I said and choose the location of where the downloaded driver is that you got from the site I posted.

Attached Thumbnails

• devices.png

Edited by cmpm, 10 July 2008 - 06:23 PM.

laura679

laura679

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, so under device manager there is no display adapter thing to click on. Am i supposed to install the driver before i go there? Also when i go to that site to try and download it, i get to the download spot and then get this message everytime:

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. and then you click on send or don't send your information for that error check thing. It wont let me download it :) Also, im not sure which ge force card i have. I got it a long time ago, like 4-5 years ago and dont have the box or cd or anything anymore :) Is there a way to tell what i have so i'll know which one to download? Sorry for being so disorganized :) What can i do to stop getting that error message so i can download the driver?

laura679

laura679

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I finally found the driver i needed and updated it. Everything is working great now :) Thank you for all your help guys :)

Laura

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Good deal!

Is Internet explorer still giving you trouble.

Get Firefox if you want to.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/