Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Drive OS installer

• Please log in to reply

mikhael

mikhael

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a 160gb usb drive that i am looking for a use for. I install windows on a lot of computers often (i build systems for friends ect) and i use more than one version (XP on some, vista on others ect) I always use legal new OEM licenses and I use oem disks to do the installs. What im looking for is a simple one stop shop for my OS installation.

What im looking to do:

Set the pc to boot from the usb drive and when it does

It boots into a menu asking which OS i want to install
example:

Which Operating System Would You Like To Instal?
1. Windows 98se
2. Windows 2000PRO
3. Windows XP
ect

Once i select one of the options it starts installing it as if i booted from the install disk.

any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Advertisements

mikhael

mikhael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am replying to this for two reasons.
1: to bump the topic in case others are interested
2: to report my progress

Progress:
So far I have successfully created my own boot cd complete with my personal menu (IE install OS 1 install OS 2 ect )
I also was able to create an image for my usb device which does the same thing based on my boot cd files.

Issues:

I haven't figured out how i will be installing ubuntu from this menu as it is dos based and there isnt a simple executable file on the ubuntu disks for installing/live cd operation

I will post more about HOW i did this later as I see this as an invaluable tool for a system builder/tech.

Later versions:
Hoping to include things like ubcd, ohpcrack, bartpe ect all on the one drive (a one stop tech/install shop)

Any recommendations or help with the ubuntu issue please let me know.