Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hosts file question

• Please log in to reply

kelkay

kelkay

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I am new to the hosts file usage, and I am afraid I messed up. I downloaded Hostsman and it automatically updates the file, which is good. The problem is my firewall asked me about four files to be redirected to 127.0.0.1 which is what I thought it did with all bad sites. So I clicked yes, remember it for the firewall. Then later I ran Spybot S&D and it hit on Microsoft Windows Redirected Hosts, and showed the four I had checked to go to that dns number. Now my question is this, did Spybot mess up, or did I by allowing the firewall to accept the change? Spybot fixed it, but whether it was a correct fix I have no idea.

--- Search result list ---
Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: [SBI $97C2C277] Redirected host (Redirected host, fixed)
www.experts-exchange.com=127.0.0.1

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: [SBI $926098F7] Redirected host (Redirected host, fixed)
experts-exchange.com=127.0.0.1

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: [SBI $C1DEB1AF] Redirected host (Redirected host, fixed)
ask.com=127.0.0.1

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: [SBI $25161DD4] Redirected host (Redirected host, fixed)
www.ask.com=127.0.0.1

Pt 2 of question....
Hostsman allows 4 different places to update the hosts file if you want. I clicked update for all of them, and then overwrite. When it updated it deleted duplicates, which I think is good. Was this the proper procedure for the safest thing to do?

Advertisements

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
When I run Spybot S&D it sees these still as a threat....more of these hosts files pop up on Spybot S&D...it sees it as a harmful not a helpful redirect. Any thoughts? It has been a week, I had hoped someone would be able to help me with this.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first get rid of Hostsman

then go here...get the hosts.zip

extract it and click on the mvps.bat icon...your done ...total time is about 20 seconds...then forget about the hosts file and get back to whatever it is you normally do

Proudly now the #1 rated HOSTS file on the Internet! - Google | MSN | Yahoo | AltaVista
Now regularly featured on the Kim Komando Radio Show
The MVPS HOSTS file has been selected by Pricelessware as "the best of the best in Freeware" for the 2nd time ...

In many cases using a well designed HOSTS file can speed the loading of web pages by not having to wait for these ads, annoying banners, hit counters, etc. to load. This also helps to protect your Privacy and Security by blocking sites that may track your viewing habits, also known as "click-thru tracking" or Data Miners. Simply using a HOSTS file is not a cure-all against all the dangers on the Internet, but it does provide another very effective "Layer of Protection".

subscribe to the mailing list...you will get a email about every 3 or 4 months telling you there is a update...the email has the link to download the new hosts file and same as before...extract it and click on the mvps.bat icon...your done

Edited by happyrck, 28 July 2008 - 03:10 PM.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Thank you....The Topic Can Be Considered CLOSED! :)

Edited by kelkay, 28 July 2008 - 03:49 PM.