Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple mayhem, mea culpa...

• Please log in to reply

cejwin

cejwin

• Pip
  • 8 posts
These symptoms started a few days ago and most likely my tampering has made matters worse. I have scanned several times for malware and nothing there (I use an assortment of programs because something always slips through). Firstly, when using the start button and going to search no problem until I actually try to search and then nothing. Dead as a doorknob. Next Going to My computer via the start button, nothing doing. Just watch the cursor search and search. Sometimes, the computer will open but not always. Next up, when trying to burn a disk, Roxio which always worked from shortcut on desk top, simply lays there and won't open unless I continue to press the splashscreen over and over and even then it only opens sometimes.
Opening component services to component to computer, if I hit the computer icon, the entire thing closes. Just vanishes and does that each and every time. Lastly, System Information is non existent. I cannot find anything because the information simply cannot function. I also had an error 126 in Application Management (could not be found). I am unable to update from Microsoft having gone thru the loop, over and over. I am not sure where the fault lies but my playing around in the Services did not help and apparently there is no default to return stuff to where it was.
I know it's quite a list but perhaps someone savvy enough can lead me in the right direction. Healthwise it was a crappy week and apparently I was not thinking clearly when working on the puter. Paying the price big time now.
Again, any advice gratefully accepted.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Please click Start > run. Type msconfig > OK. Click Services and enable all of them by the button at the bottom. If not successful, check each of them manually. See how the computer works. If not successful:

2: 2: For this you will need XP installation CD either yours or a borrowed one of the same version. Place the CD in the drive and type "exit" when XP screen opens. Clicj Start > run. Type sfc /scannow (please note the space in the command) and press Enter. Let the process run to the end at which the dialog box will disappear.

cejwin

cejwin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sadly no disk. Computer came loaded via HP. Guess that leaves me helpless. Thanks for trying though. Services check showed that everything was already checked off BTW.

cejwin

cejwin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Now Musicmatch will only open from dropdown play menu for one song. Cannot use the controls on the program once it is open and cannot close it without going to Task Manager. Sigh. Things just getting worse and worse. I did burn one disk and got a message afterwards from the program that the server was busy????? Odder and odder.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you connect to the internet? I suggest that you post in the malware forum (use the link in my list below). This system collapse can be the work of malware or incorrect malware removal.

cejwin

cejwin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The problem is that I can eventually connect to internet by manually adding iexplore to Windows task manager. Windows is listed as version 5.1 SP3 if I run winver but in add remove and Windows Install clean up it comes up as SP2. I am pretty sure this is the problem. So the question becomes, how can I fix it??
Thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you install SP-3? Did you have any problems during the installation? Where did it come from and how come it doesn't show in Add/Remove programs?

cejwin

cejwin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
"Did you install SP-3? Did you have any problems during the installation? Where did it come from and how come it doesn't show in Add/Remove programs?"
These are my questions!! I tried to install SP3 but it said the installation failed. I would love to throw it out completely but cannot find it. It only shows as the version on board. It is not in add remove. If I knew why, I would have fixed it. I need to know how to get rid of it and see if that fixes some of the problems. I have six or seven disks that I burned as a back up when I first got the computer. Can I use them for anything???

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What are these disks that you burned. Are they recovery disks of HP? If yes, you can use them. Depending on the model of your computer you can run a destructive recovery which equals to clean format (everything wiped out. You must back up your data first) or nondestructive recovery which should leave your data intact (don't count on it. backup).

If you have a user manual of the computer - consult it before you proceed.

I am not sure about your case but had it been a "usual" XP installation I would consider XP repair. During the repair operation all windows updates are removed (you have to re-update) and system files are being recovered.

If you want us to help you further please write down the make and model of your computer. Also tell us what these burned disks are.

cejwin

cejwin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am using HP Pavillion Model a630N. I have not added anything to it other than a scanner and printer. I looked at the first two disks and the first disk contains I386 folder, Preload folder and a master log with these:[Master]
Language=English
ImageType=2
Win_ver=2
Win_Size=5741443
DriverCabName=driver.cab
UseCABInternalDate=no
i386Attr=128
CDs=7
Files=6298
Size=4302625090
Size_CD0=670092618
Size_CD1=669149600
Size_CD2=666477958
Size_CD3=668151329
Size_CD4=662211443
Size_CD5=662921569
Size_CD6=303620573
Size_Excl=173517525
VolumeName=43NAheBLU6
SP1=no
UPSize=14000
ShutdownFromRAMDrive=2
RemoveUnusedShutdown=0
[Branding]
Brand=HP
BrandName=HP
Title=HP PC System Recovery
BrandPC=HP PC
BrandModel=Pavilion
UserLabel=HP_PAVILION
RecoveryLabel=HP_RECOVERY

I assume this is either a part of or the entire recovery set. I would rather not reinstall everything but will if I have to and prior to that, copy all the programs I need to back up. Do you think this will fix puter? Do I need to run all the disks? You have been very patient and I really appreciate it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There must be something wrong with your recovery disks or in the process of installation. Please have a look at this help link from HP. You may consult their technical support to advise you about the possibility of getting new recovery CD.

There is one thing that I would do just in case: Try to clear the BIOS by doing this:Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

cejwin

cejwin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The bios is way too tricky for me. The disks I referred to are the recovery disks according to HP. It will not allow me to make additional sets. I simply don't know how to do the repair you referred to as opposed to a recovery. That's where I need help at this moment. I am convinced that the problem is in Windows.
I suppose the question is now, what file do I run on the first disk to reinstall Windows or better to repair it?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can't perform repair, as I suggested before, with your OEM version of XP. You have to use your disks again, following the instructions. I am not familiar with your version but what you want to do is to bring the computer back to factory settings. This must include clean format of the disk prior to the installation of system files. There shouldn't be any error messages during the installation. Please run the computer without installing your printer and scanner and see what happens.

After making sure that there are no problems, install your antivirus and download all windows updates (before you install any hardware). If the problems start again please report and mention what service pack was installed during the updates. Also inform what cpu you have in your system: AMD or Intell.

cejwin

cejwin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
>
Just wanted to update you on my solution after I mentally gave up and threw in the towel. I decided to try and repair XP willing to give up all my data and programs and reinstall them if that was what it took since program after program became unstable. It was a true domino problem going on. When printer and Music Match failed, I said uncle.
I reinstalled XP via the 7 disk backup I made when I first got the computer although I only needed one disk apparently. I downloaded directly from DVD drive by changing BIOS temporarily (in case anyone is also looking to do same I am including the method) and then hit the R key despite warnings that it might erase everything or might not. Apparently all my data and programs came thru and it was a repair and NOT a restore. One has to be very careful here. Several programs are a little touchy and need reloading but the install programs were still in a folder so it presented no problem, and the bottom line is that everything is working fine now. I hated downloading a minimum of 175 updates to XP but stopped short of downloading SP3 since that might have been my original downfall. Not sure what got corrupted or how but wanted to thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
:) :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.