Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL connection doesnt work when passed through any router

• Please log in to reply

RealTalk

RealTalk

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
The other day we had a really close lightning strike, there was absolutely no crack, just a loud pop. It had to have hit either our house or very close to it. This knocked our power off for a few seconds, then upon power returning, i started getting problems with my internet.

Heres the set up in our house: We have a DSL modem downstairs, which is then split at a router into 1 wireless, 1 wired cord that connects to the computer downstairs, and 1 wired line that runs upstairs to my room. Once the line comes into my room through a wall plug, from that created plug i hook another dsl cord from there to another router, then that is split into 1 cord going into my PC and 1 going into my xbox 360.

After the lightning strike and power returned, i could no longer access the internet upstairs. With the wires hooked into the modem as it used to be, neither my PC nor my xbox could connect. I figured it must be the router, so I went and got a spare router from downstairs and hooked it up, same result. Things got complicated when i then skipped the router and took the wire straight from my wall upstairs (after going through the first router downstairs) straight into my computer. With that set up, my PC's internet works fine. I tested all of the wires being used and every one of them works when it goes straight to my PC, but when the same wires are used to pass through either router, no luck. I even brought in my laptop and hooked that up, same result, works when not using the router, no connection when the router is connected.

Couple of other things, my internet when using the router is weird. It says i am connected, and I can use the repair feature in network connections to renew my IP address and it claims I am connected, yet no websites work, IE and any other online feature behaves as if there is no internet connection, yet is claims its connected.

Another problem that might be independent of that problem, but also started when the lightning struck. My xbox 360 is unable to connect to the internet regaurdless of what set up it has. I even tried to take the first line right from the modem into the 360, but that did not work. I fear that the lightning blew out the modem in my 360. Im not really looking for a solution to the 360 problem here, but if someone has one thats fine too.

Any suggestions as to what to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

RealTalk

RealTalk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
anyone??