Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm looking to upgrade my PC, with the limited amount of money I have which is around (150-160 max). Titan has successfully convinced me that getting a new video card may not be the best option (posted a thread earlier, pointed out that my power supply may not be stable enough to hold another 8800GT for SLI).

Here are my specs:

Core 2 Duo E6750 @ @2.66 Ghz
2GB DDR2-800 Mhz
EVGA Geforce 8800GT @ Stock 600/900(1800)
500GB Hard Drive (Seagate?)
Windows Vista Home Premium - 32 Bit
600W Ultra LS

What I'm looking for is the best option price/performance on how to get better FPS in games/overall better performance. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

It looks like you have similar specs to my rig - except, of course, the power supply. If I were you, I'd upgrade the PSU to something more stable (like this), and then add an aftermarket heatsink/fan to your E6750 and do some overclocking. With the right settings, you should easily be hitting 3.2 - 3.4 GHz, perhaps more, depending on your components and in-case airflow.

Other than that, it's a pretty good rig, so the PSU is definitely the first thing to go.

Cheers

Troy

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the response. Would RAM be a viable option as well? Is the limit for a 32-bit OS, 3GB? I was looking at RAM and it's somewhat cheap. Maybe a new Power Supply, Gig of RAM, and an after-market cooler would set me off for future upgrades this upcoming holiday season (new CPU or graphics card?).

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

You could grab another matching 2GB set to complement your current RAM. You should see about 3.25GB in use, but it does vary depending on your system. This is still more than 2GB...

But yeah, that's my suggestion. Looks good, and is about right to "prepare" your system for any further upgrades.

Cheers

Troy

sixx jpN

sixx jpN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
My only concern with getting another two gigs, was I had my current two gigs in dual channel, and had to take them out of dual channel due to the fact that for some reason I would get blue screens almost every day because of it (as soon as I switched them out, blue screening and all of the other problems stopped). If I bought another two gigs would this enable dual channel since all four slots would be taken? Or am I missing something?

Just wanna make sure before I buy. Thanks again.