Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP logs in then logs out immediately

• Please log in to reply

takeshibeat

takeshibeat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When i log in from the windows xp login screen to my profile i see my desktop background then windows logs off straight away back to the welcome screen.

I have tried a solution suggested in these forums.......

(Boot using your winxp cd.
Enter recovery console.
at the command prompt go to

C:/windows/system32

next type:
Dir *.exe

If you find, it, type

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

Exit and reboot normally. You should now be able to logon.)

This did not solve the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Advertisements

chab2007

chab2007

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sir,

This does not work , I tried this...Do we have any automated tool to recover the same...

tadams5

tadams5

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been perplexed with the same problem and worked an entire day trying to get the solution below to work. I copied this from another site. Finally I was successful by using a combination of the link listed in the first paragraph and steps 1 thru 7 below. I'm really sorry I can't summarize it for you ... I just kind of picked my way through it all trying to use some common sense. Like you I tried the other methods to no avail and much to my delight this one actually worked!
Good luck!

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT CANNOT GET THE COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE TO WORK --> PLEASE READ THIS
OK, I read an old post from annoyances.org, way back in 2004, it is practically the only one that differs from all the others, THIS worked for me, where the copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe did NOT:
Article post: NOTE I am modifying the post to how it worked for ME
http://www.annoyance...xp/1096561524?s

1) Use the XP disk and go into the Recovery Console
2) "We need to replace the software hive with a previous good backup."
a.) type cd system32\config enter
b.) type ren software software.old enter
This renames the current software hive to software.old
c.) type copy C:\windows\repair\software enter
It should say "1 file(s) copied"
d.) type exit
this will leave recovery console
3) Hit F8 before Windows starts to enter Safe Mode - You should hopefully be able to log in now
4) Now we need to Fix the registry
a.) Start-->Run--> type regedit, enter
b.) Select/Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
c.) Hit File-->Load Hive
d.) Find where you saved the software.old file (C:\windows\system32\config\software.old)
e.) Just name it test
5) THIS IS WHERE MY FIX Differs from the previous post
a.) Navigate to test\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon
b.) Look for the Userinit field
c.) Mine was blank which was causing the log off loop, others had wsaupdater.exe in this key
- Double click on the ky and type C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,
Note: if anything differs repeat step 5 with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon
6) Restart and log back into Recovery Console
7) Restore the original hive now
a.) type cd system32\config enter
b.) type del software enter
c.) type ren software.old software enter
d.) type exit enter
8) Log back into Windows normally. This worked for me and I hope you find that it also works for you! Thanks, good luck

Naga

Naga

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks a lot. The second solution provided helped me to fix the problem.
The userini.ext had some baad link : im case such as :t

Thanks once again to help me regain my files.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I've found that this problem can be resolved just by running a repair install of Windows, rather then messing with the Recovery Console. Directions for a repair install can be found here.

Why42

Why42

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Post #3 all was good 1-2 info, number 3 back to same same login - logout , safe mode all and reg .
any other way ?

After using a bart__ WinXP boot CD I find I have no file --> userinit.exe -- relpace it with one from Bart__boot CD ..
How I can boot in safe mode and reg desktop . I see I have two software files one ending with old ,size about same on the two .
My ? is do I need to go back and Restore the original hive after renaming them per post 3 #1-2 ??
Thank You.
4-7-09

One More Thing THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Why42, 07 April 2009 - 11:47 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Why42
Please start your own topic as all though your issue may seem similar there can be other issues that may need to be resolved. By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping.