Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN going bananas!

• Please log in to reply

Kalmiya

Kalmiya

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all,

I've had a LAN connection via Ethernet between my PC and a friend's laptop working for a couple of weeks which, until yesterday, has worked fine. A little background info, I set up the network as being hosted by my PC with the laptop as client. I realise now that was a bit silly, as only the laptop can get online via wireless, but it seems to have worked a treat anyway :) This network is used mostly for sharing the 'net connection and for network gaming.

However, the LAN connection now says it has limited/no connectivity. It still displays its 1Gps speed as usual, and access through My Network Places (for file sharing etc) is totally fine. But neither computer can see each other in a Network Game list, and the PC cannot get online.

I tried running the IPconfig commands in cmd prompt, disabling/enabling the LAN connection, repairing it, cold & warm booting, and combinations of the aforementioned to no avail. I've run out of ideas. I really should stop being lazy and join a computer class :)

It would be great if anyone can help!
Many thanks,

Kal

Advertisements

cheyenna345

cheyenna345

• Pip
  • 5 posts
That happens everytime i turn on the computer but i have a default and another mode if you have a different mode than default you could could switch them. Or, i have a adapter thing connected to my xbox so i can play online, if it is out of tune than i have to fix it.

Hope it works soon!
BYE!

Edited by cheyenna345, 13 July 2008 - 01:01 PM.

Kalmiya

Kalmiya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not sure what you mean by the different modes, so I'm inclined to say everything's set to default.

:) The PC just pulled itself out of Silicone Heaven and got connected :) Guess your reply carried a good vibe to kickstart it! Thanks :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
When you change settings or such in a network it is a good idea to renew the IP addresses of all the clients.
Note that after a Reboot the PC does this itself.

To do so follow these steps.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /release".
  • After it is done releasing. Type in: "ipconfig /renew".
  • This should renew your connection with your gateway.

Regards,
Olrik