Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory upgrade questions

• Please log in to reply

APCSystems

APCSystems

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I think it's time to upgrade the memory on my PC. I have a Dell Dimension that came with 1GB of (2x512 Samsung?) memory. Can someone recommed me something? I'm probably going to go with 2GB. What should I look for as far as brands, and what do I need to know when shopping for memory. Should I remove my current memory completely just so all the memory will match once I put the new stuff in or is it okay to mix and match? I was looking at Corsair XMS but there's some that's $45, and some that's $200+....what's the difference? I'm not a gamer and don't do anything too crazy. I mess with photoshop but not that often. Besides that I browse and download. One thing that drives me nuts is if I'm burning a CD or DVD and trying to do other stuff my machine seems sluggish. Will more memory fix that? Please advise.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I could tell you more if I knew a little more. What model is the Dell? Are you looking at DDR RAM or DDR2?

Mix and match is doable (I did on my previous system for a while) but your both sticks will run at the slower speed. Same if you put a faster stick then your board is rated for.

As far as brands, I've had good experience with Kingston. Good RAM for a decent price. Corsair has some really high quality RAM, but as you found out, can get rather pricey.

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
It's a Dimension 9100. 2.8ghz dual core. It has DDR2 RAM. I should have probably mentioned that before. Thanks.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Looks like this system will take either DDR2-533 or 667. I would go with the 667 because it's almost as cheap as the 533, and it's faster. The max amount of RAM you can put in is up to 4.0 GB.

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I actually knew that already. I guess I'm looking more for memory recommendations. I don't understand the whole Latency thing. I'm not sure what brands I should look for, etc. I want something good but don't want to break the bank to get it. My computer runs good, I just want it to run better.