Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Drivers do I need for Vista & where can I get them ?

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I have a Dell Optiplex GX 620 System that came with Win XP PRO SP2.

I want to install Vista ( Ultimate ) 32 bit

Which drivers do I need & where can I get them ?

Do I need new BIOS ?

I am not a techy but

Dell says that Vista will not work on this machine which is strange.

Machine Specs are :

Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHz Dual core Processor

2.0 GB DDR RAM

250 GB HDD

256 MB ATI Radion X600 Video Card capable of running two monitors

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Conexant D860 56K V.9x DFVc Modem

SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio

NEC DVD+RW ND-3530A

SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615

Please can someone give me a step by step as to how do I install the drivers too.

Thank You in Advance.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I see you have made the same thread on some other forums also, Eh! RobertQ.

Well, there are vista drivers for the ATI X600 here.

http://www.nodevice....0/get44362.html

Broadcom drivers are here.

http://www.broadcom....eme_desktop.php

I would discard the conexant modem and if you need one buy a vista capable PCI modem. I really don't know why you would want one when most people go for the cable or telephone ethernet hi-speed internet. You already have the Broadcom ethernet in the computer.

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Microsoft Windows Vista build 5308 uses Windows Update (herein called WU) to get the latest drivers for the SoundMAX chipset. These drivers stutter, hiss, snap, crackle, and pop, nonstop and do not have support for digital audio. This is an improvement over 5270 where you had to find your own drivers, AND it was impossible to get digital audio.

Drivers are here.

http://neosmart.net/...-sound-drivers/

It would probably be better to buy a Audigy 2 sound card and install it if you want good sound.

The hardware above is why Dell says not to upgrade. If you do go ahead and install Vista i would suggest the replacements above.

On most of the drivers i would find and download drivers to the computer before installing the new hardware. Then install the hardware and boot the computer. When the "found new hardware" windows comes up, cancel the install, Click Ok on the "Hardware may not work properly" window, then Double click on the downloaded drivers to install them.

Check on the ATI website on doing this because they may want you to install the drivers first( not likely). I know you can do the install before drivers on the Audigy card if you decide to buy it. The other drivers you can also click cancel and install downloaded drivers for the Ethernet and soundmax sound.

Good luck with this endeavor.

SRX660

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Also, you'll need the chipset drivers first.
Try this ethernet driver. If you use the broadcom link above use the XP download, page says "This driver does not support BCM5700, BCM5701 and BCM5702 devices due to Vista compliance issues. To use these devices under Vista, please use the XP or Win2K3 driver above."

Edited by The Admiral, 14 July 2008 - 08:11 AM.

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thank you both. Really appreciate the help.

One more question. Can I use this system as a dual boot ? If yes, would there be any changes in your suggestion ?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Depends on the dual boot. You'll need drivers for that operating system as well. If you mean to install Vista but keep XP, you can do that, as long as you have drivers for Vista, which I think we just gave you. Setting up the dual boot is the hard part, not the drivers. ;-)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a dual boot guide.

http://apcmag.com/ho...screenshots.htm

SRX660

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
The Admiral,

I am having hard time finding & installing the right chipset drivers.

I have an Intel 945 G motherboard that is what Dell can tell me.

There are are many Intel Desktop Boards listed on the link you gave me that start with 945 G plus 2 or 3 more letters added to them. For example D945GBO, D945GCCR, D945GCL etc.

Which ones do I download & install ?

I installed Audio NIC & Video drivers & they are working fine.

Vista works, Audio works, I am able to play movies.

So how do I know if I am missing chipset drivers ? This is of course Hardware 101 question but that I think you guys know by the way I am asking questions & you have been kind to answer them.

I postponed the dual boot idea & installed only Vista ( Ultimate ) on Primary Partition.

So can you please help ?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
The link I gave you is for one driver that applies to all 945D chipsets. Up above that list, there's the Download link, grab that, don't worry about the list.

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I downloaded that 2.39 MB file named INF_allOS_9.0.0.1007_PV_Intel.

Is that correct & all I need to do is run it ?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
That's correct, running it will detect your motherboard and install the appropriate chipset drivers.

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thank you Admiral.

Did that program downloaded the appropriate driver from the net or it was built in that exe ?

Also do I need to download any .NET applications for Vista or is it built in Vista ? If I do which Version ?

There are so many .NET versions on MS te starting with V.1.1, 2.0, 2.0SP1, 3.0, 3.0SP1 & 3.5.

Thank you so much for all the help.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
That program had the correct driver contained in the package, most likely.

.NET is fine: if nothing else you'll get a warning if you need it and you'll be told which one you need.

useport80

useport80

• Pip
  • 1 posts
if u want to use the base dell drivers goto support.dell.com and put in your service tag # for the computer. pick what os u r using, and then it should list out all the drivers u need. chipset is usually listed. if the dell website doens't have vista listed, then look at the list and it'll give u a good idea to what u r looking for.

do you have vista sp1? there are a bunch of reference drivers on vista sp1.

for intel base reference chipset drivers, u can download the chipset identification tool from intel. they have two versions, one for older chipsets, and one for newer chipsets. i think u will need the newer one. u can run this tool to tell u what chipset u have, then download the correct chipset driver.

Intel® Chipset Identification Utility
http://downloadcente...s...32&lang=eng

in terms of driver installation order here is the order that is preferred and that i use :
1. dell nss(notebook system software) or dss(desktop system software)
2. chipset
3. video
4. nic
5. sound
6. modem
7. bluetooth
8. wifi
9. what ever else is left.

i also reboot after each installation.

.net framework u should install if u need it. a lot of the software nowadays can tie into the .net framework. the ati catalyst drivers require .net 2 i believe. of course get all SPs and hotfixes as necessary.

for ati drivers, u can goto ati.com and get vista drivers. http://game.amd.com/.../common-vista32

i've used the nic drivers from broadcom before and sometimes they can cause problems. i would suggest using the base vista sp1 driver. i had all types of bluescreens when i started using the base drivers from broadcom. i analyzed all my memory dumps and all pointed back to the nic driver. may or maynot happen to you but that happened recently on my dell m1710 laptop.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Dell does not offer Vista drivers for the GX620, all the drivers have already been given to georgetok.

Desktop System Software is not required for Windows Vista.

Obviously, there is no need to worry about bluetooth or wifi, because this is a desktop.

ATI drivers will automatically install .NET drivers. A link has already been provided.

For the m1710, you could just use the Dell-provided drivers. :)