Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why can't I view swf files?

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I have XP sp2 (1GB ram)and the latest IE browser. I have downloaded the latest version of Adobe flash player(ver. 9,0,124,0) Anytime someone sends me a swf file, it won't open in Incredimail. I then go to Outlook Express and it still won't open. On the internet in "The Weather Channel" website, it won't load the interactive radar map and states that I must install the Adobe Flash player to view the map.. Somehow, it doesn't recognize that I have the program installed. Anyone got a clue??
Thanks.

Advertisements

adam pearce

adam pearce

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Have you installed shockwave as well as flash?

If I were you then I would uninstall flash through add/remove programs, then reboot.

Then reinstall flash, shockwave, java and quicktime (may as well get all the basics at once!) and see if that fixes the problem with the weather channel.

As for opening swf files, I'm not 100% as it has been a long time since I did that but I'm pretty sure it opens internet explorer and loads shows the file using the flash/shockwave plugin.

Another thought, do you have any toolbars? I have had times when they have stopped things working believe it or not. Get rid of any toolbars you have anyway, they're a waste of space (again through add/remove programs).

If none of that works you could try a reset of internet explorer - go to internet properties, click advanced, then click reset. Keep in mind that this will delete all your temp files, cookies and personal settings within Internet Explorer though.