Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Visual C++ runtime error

• Please log in to reply

rob1104

rob1104

• Pip
  • 4 posts
when i try to install a game (Risk your life 2) i get a message that says:

Runtime Error!

Program: ...ents and settings\Owner\Desktop\installer-ryl2_v1673.exe

abnormal program termination

Can anyone help me?

Edited by rob1104, 14 July 2008 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements

adam pearce

adam pearce

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
In my experience, runtime errors are a bit of tricky one as the only person that usually understands what the error message means is the developers.

It could be a security issue when your log on account does not have rights to access that area. Are you running Vista or XP? If you're running Vista then that is probably causing the issue as Vista is a nightmare for secuirty.

If it's Vista try right clicking on the icon and going to run as administrator.

It could also be a damaged install file.

rob1104

rob1104

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm running windows XP and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to do with security, because i only have one windows account and im an admin. so it must have something to do with the game

adam pearce

adam pearce

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah, sounds like it. Security can be a weird thing though, you can end up with some folders being owned by the administrator (user) instead of the administrators (group) and this can cause issues with some applications, just a thought.

The installation files maybe corrupted. Can you get a copy of them?

rob1104

rob1104

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i dont know, how would i go about doing that

adam pearce

adam pearce

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Speak to the game tech support line. They might be able to make sense of the error your getting and if not, then a lot will replace your media or, if you got the game recently, they'll advise you to take it back to the shop for an exchange.

Hope that helps

rob1104

rob1104

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
its not a game i bought, its an online game

adam pearce

adam pearce

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ah right. Is it open source? Like a free online game? If so, do they have a forum on their site? Their moderators might have come across the issue before.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I'm not impressed at all with their support. There really isn't much that we can do. You may end up having to email or call them. I saw some similar issues in the their forums, but no one has responded as of yet.