Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using all the bandwidth

• Please log in to reply

Dobby1981

Dobby1981

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I live in a shared house and have the internet split between all four bedrooms using a wireless router. Three of us use the internet infrequently and do not do a lot of downloads. But when we come to use the net. Our 4th house "mate" is downloading huge amounts of data and taking all of our bandwidth.

My question is. Is their a way of limiting his bandwidth subtly so he won't know? So at least i can check my emails before the connection times out?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You would have to do this on the router side. I can do it with a specialized firmware, but it depends.

What model router do you have? Have you tried talking to this fourth wheel about his bandwidth use? Does the internet work okay when he is not using it?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

I can do it with a specialized firmware, but it depends.

This is about right. You are going to need a typically fairly expensive router or a WRT54Gx with 3rd party firmware. Most home routers do not include this functionality.

Edited by Titan8990, 15 July 2008 - 11:55 AM.