Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys Router Problem. Firmware update.

• Please log in to reply

Trazi_Kitana

Trazi_Kitana

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having an odd issue that I've narrowed down to a problem with my router.

After I got off work yesterday I tried to access myspace.com. It would hardly load (take around 5 minutes to do so), and then I could not log in. I wrote this off as a problem with MySpace and forgot about it. Later that night I found out everyone I knew could access it with no problem what so ever. I could access it on my phone as well. I figured it was a problem with my computer so I ran virus scans, cleared the cache, the works. Still nothing. In the morning I talked to my mother, who uses another computer in the house, and she told me she couldn't access certain websites either. I tried the websites I couldn't access on her computer and sure enough they didn't work on hers either. I connected my computer directly to my modem, and the websites came up just as quickly as any other. So that's how I figured out it was my router.

I'm 99% positive I need to update the firmware. I called Linksys, and because my router was out of warranty they wanted to connect me to another department and charge me $29.99 just to talk to them. Yep, no thanks!

So that's when I come to you guys. Everywhere I look about updating the firmware tells me that I'll download a .zip file from Linksys, but the file that I get when clicking on the firmware update is a .bin file! Could someone please guide me in the right direction?

I have Windows Vista, my mother has Windows XP.
Our router is a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. WRT54G version 8
Anything else you need to know, just let me know. Thank you so much!

Edited by Trazi_Kitana, 15 July 2008 - 03:54 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i confirmed that linksys is serving a .BIN file for that firmware revision (a .bin file is a sort of .zip file...just a different kind of archive...like a .cab file) so that's the correct file

the Manual does say to extract the file and then upload it via the firmware update page. so i downloaded the firmware for version 1.0 (since that's older than the one you're on) which comes in zip format, lo and behold, the zip contained a bin file like the one you get for version 8.0.....so they just saved you the step of extracting the .bin file

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Be careful with flashing firmware. It should be used as a last resort: I've bricked a good number of routers. Try power cycling the router; unplugging it for 30 seconds then plugging it back in. Write down all of the important information your ISP gave you and use the Management page to reset everything to defaults, then put the important info back in. Then you can flash the firmware.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you do update the firmware be careful to check the version of the router and get the update for that version of router. Otherwise the router won't work and you may not be able to run the update procedure again. Fortunately routers aren't that expensive.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Flash routers by wire only, never wireless. Most routers won't let you flash anyway if you're not physically wired to them.

You don't flash wirelessly because the wireless chip gets disabled during the flash, subsequently reset and then you lose your connection to it. On some routers you need to upload two files to complete the flash pretty much one after the other.