Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wont boot under w2k

• Please log in to reply

mingomack

mingomack

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi there
i am pretty new to those kind of forum so hopefully i wont be breaking rules or sound like an idiot.

Anyway, I am running w2k and been working all morning on my pc, updating norton, zone labs, msn, all that without rebooting, (I know its bad).
As I eventually did reboot, the pc just will not boot again and stops right after "the PCI device listing". Every thing is listed, primary HD, cd drive, slave HD...and the cursor is blinking as if waiting for sthg....
The worse is that I cannot even access the safe mode or those other different mode to try to desinstall software.
Please, please somebody has an answer for that
Thanks a lot

Edited by mingomack, 29 April 2005 - 11:18 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Can you access the recovery conole?

What is the response when you access safe mode...nothing?

mingomack

mingomack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi thanks for helping.
by recovery console, do you mean pressing the F8 key to access the different safe modes?
That doesnt even work, it wont let me thru that menu.
It just stalls at the PCI device listing and the last thing on the screen is the "ACPI controller" so maybe its looking for something.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Can you change the boot order? I have an old DOS machine that has an option to change the boot order right when you press the power button.

Edited by jake6535, 30 April 2005 - 11:15 AM.