Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Speed Jumps Around

• Please log in to reply

R2vicious

R2vicious

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My friend has rebooted his computer multiple times.

Until recently he has had a steady 54 Mbps.

Now the speed will jump around randomly from 48 to 36 never achieving any higher then 48.

Switching from Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility to XP's Wireless Network Connection application will keep the MBps at 54 until I leave the room where the router is located. Then it will skip around like Dells wireless application.

This wouldn't be much of a problem but while playing any of his games, such as WoW. It will randomly lag up to 3,000. Which makes it impossible to play on.

I cannot find any other wireless connections in my area that could be messing with my routers signal

Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN mini-card.

I have 2 other dells in the house and get a consistent 54 mpbs anywhere in the house.

Any suggestions for settings to tinker with until it works? I have fiddled with Roaming Decision and Roaming Tendency and no changes in speed.

Edited by R2vicious, 15 July 2008 - 06:30 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Rebooting the router will reset the connections between the two devices: I would advise power cycling the router and seeing if that fixes it. Fixes my problems.

Because the strength is inconsistent based on location, check to make sure that the wireless antennae are securely connected to the wireless card and that the drivers are reinstalled, uninstalling the Dell Wireless Utility from Add/Remove Programs. If one of your other Dells has a 1390, or any Broadcom-based Dell card, swap it into the laptop (since it uses the same drivers) and see if the situation improves. If it does, put the old card back in, reinstall drivers, and see if it degrades. If it does, contact Dell for a replacement card.

Edited by The Admiral, 16 July 2008 - 07:35 AM.