Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram upgrade theory

• Please log in to reply

MizzLi

MizzLi

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade the RAM on my Acer Travelmate 6292 laptop from 1gb to 2gb, I looked inside at the modules used and theres only two slots currently filled by 512MB SODIMM DDR2 PC2-5300. I've looked at the offers online, but there are different brand names, and different numbers i.e. OCZ 2GB DDR2 667MHZ/PC2-5400 SO DIMM etc or PC2-4300 etc

My query is, does these changes in numbers matter as long as I buy a DDR2 2GB? And what specs do you need to keep the same?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie to laptop upgrades, I heard the inside parts are sensitive and I'm not sure as to what is interchangeable and what needs to be spot on in terms of specs.

Thanks for the help in advance! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Long as it's laptop DDR2 it'll be fine.