Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser problem? OS problem? Other problem?

• Please log in to reply

ursahoribl

ursahoribl

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My wife plays online bingo and relies on the chat room to enhance the game for her. A short time ago, the chat room and online user lists quit working. The site told us to use system restore, remove any unneeded plugins, run disc clean, shutdown the computer for at least a half hour, boot and run disc clean and log in via IE to fix the problem. In the interim, the site reset our IP (whatever that entails). This corrected the problem for the short term but gets to be a real drag having to do this every two or three days.

This problem exists on two separate computers using both IE and Firefox browsers. In the beginning, the problems started on the desktop using IE7 and Firefox 2.0.0.15. On the laptop, everything worked using Ubuntu 7.10 w/ Firefox 2.0.0.15. Following upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3.0, the problem popped up on the laptop also. In an attempt to troubleshoot the problem, ran the online apps on an older computer using Windows 98SE and everything worked perfectly. Comparing setup of both IE and Firefox on all three computers showed no differences in the way they were configured.

All are set to accept cookies and allow popups from the sites in question; Java, flashplayer, shockwave, and quicktime are all latest versions; none of which seem to have any impact on the problem. The desktop was destructively restored to its original configuration and all other applications were downloaded in an attempt to correct the problem but even that failed. This also left IE6 installed.

This has led to other problems on the desktop - other game sites will freeze and/or stop functioning when trying to load games, or in some instances clicking on load or starting to play will shut down the browser going back to the desktop with no alert or alarm messages.

I am at my wits end trying to figure this out and hope someone can help me figure it out. My wife is disabled and this is her main source of entertainment. She gets really upset when things go wrong and you can imagine where it goes from there.

The desktop is a Compaq Presario, AMD64 2800+, 1 Gb ram, 200 Gb HD, using Sunbelt Kerio Personal firewall, Avast v4 Free, SuperAntispyware and Spywareblaster.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, P4, 512 Mb ram, 120 Gb HD, dual booting Windows XP Home SP2 running Comodo Firewall and AV, Spywareblaster, and Adaware2007; and Ubuntu 8.04. Windows has been a major pain and constantly has problems only solved by reload so is seldom used.

Thanks in advance and anxiously awaiting any assistance and/or guidance.

Grizzly

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
ursahoribl,

Does the site work on any system?

ursahoribl

ursahoribl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
On the two computers described in the original post, the site does not work in IE, Firefox or Opera. However, it does work on an older 1.4MHz, Windows 98SE system - far to slow for my wife's needs.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What plugins does the chat site need?

ursahoribl

ursahoribl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry so long to reply. Having a few problems with a new router. Site requires Java, flash player, and quicktime - all of which are running latest versions. Not sure which is involved with the chat room vs. the actual game. Have tried system restore to older versions with no success in getting chat working.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Have you tried reseating IE to defaults and un installing and reinstalling the plug ins required?

ursahoribl

ursahoribl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, we have tried resetting IE to defaults and even gone so far as to remove IE7 on the desktop and reinstalling IE6 to see if that helped. All plugins have been uninstalled and reinstalled on both computers. Success seems to require the site to reset our ip address and doing a system restore to a point approximately a month ago but this only lasts for two or three days before it stops working again. Haven't been able to figure out what is changing to cause the problem.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Interesting have you tried a system restore to the point that your system worked fine?

ursahoribl

ursahoribl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes. Tried a number of restore points until I found one that works best. Out of desperation about a month and a half ago, did a complete reinstallation of the OS and the problem still existed with the site. Apparently, there are a few others experiencing the same problem but not enough to convince the site that it may be their problem. They insist it's not a problem with their application and as long as their "fix" works...... Fine as long as you're not the one jumping through the hoop every few days in order to play on the site. My wife is not willing to give up on this site as she has made online friends and enjoys the interaction with those on this site.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Problem is with websites if it is not a plug in issue generally it is problem with the site.

ursahoribl

ursahoribl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Tuxmaster. I had reached the same conclusion, now need to find a way to convince the site it is their problem. Believe this thread should now be closed.

Thanks again.