Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Live ID Box keeps popping up

• Please log in to reply

kb2zjm

kb2zjm

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am using XP SP2 with all of the latest upgrades.

When ever I try to open folders(to check different things on any software installed) I get this darn Windows Live log in box that keeps popping up. I X out of it but within seconds it is back. The box wants a Windows Live ID and Password. I am going nutts tring to figure this out. I have run scans using Anti Virus, and Spy Hunter 3 with no luck in stopping this from happening. I have rebooted with no change.

Does anybody know what is causing this, or how to fix the problem?

Thank you in advance,

Doug

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here to read about Windows Live ID ...if you didn't want this use add/remove programs in the control panel and remove it...then reboot

kb2zjm

kb2zjm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have looked in ADD/REMOVE Program and found nothing that even looks like anything close to this. What I did do was went into the windows programs inside the ADD/REMOVE box and that was MSN Explore, then I rebooted the PC and went to look into my different folders again and the dumb box for Windows Live ID still comes up.

Did I miss something, or do you have any ideas for me to try?

Thanks in advance,

Doug Merwin

kb2zjm

kb2zjm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
That darn box just would not go away, so what I did was signed in with my really old hotmail address and password. Now the box is gone, but I don't know what started it to pop up in the first place. If you have any idea please let me know. All of this just started a few days ago, and I cannot think of anything I could have done.

Thanks for your help

Doug

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
If you decide that the Sign-in Assistant is not for you, you can disable it by going to the Tools menu in IE, selecting “Manage Add-ons”, highlighting “Windows Live Sign-in Helper”, and then choosing “Disable” in the settings box. Alternatively, you can remove it permanently by using the “Add/Remove Programs” dialogue in the Control Panel (it shows up as “Windows Live Sign-in Assistant”).