Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clock Help

• Please log in to reply

Lynne25

Lynne25

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Can anyone please help my computer clock for some reason keeps losing time even after I reset it and do the update thing under date and time I am not sure why it's losing time so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
There is a small watch battery on your motherboard that keeps a small amount of electricity running through the computer, even when the computer is off. Among other things, this power keeps the clock running. If the battery is dead, the clock will reset every time the computer is turned off, because there's no more current running through the computer.

Look for that battery on the motherboard, take it to a battery shop and get a new one; I bet you'll have no more problems.

Lynne25

Lynne25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
If I don't change the battery will it have any effect to the computer??

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There are programs that are time dependent. Antiviruses (AVG comes to my mind) check their data base against AVG's servers to download updates. If the computer is far off real time they may fail to update or will give an error message.

Lynne25

Lynne25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Many thanks for your advice I will keep an eye on it and if I need to I will get the battery changed.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Even though you can go in and change the time every time you log into Windows, having that battery dead is depleting "CMOS" settings every time the computer is off, and can eventually lead to a corrupted BIOS, which means either a complicated process of flashing the BIOS, or replacing the motherboard. I highly recommend that you replace this battery... it's either $2 now or $150 motherboard later.

struggling artist

struggling artist

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi, I am having the same problem - clock loses several hours and I only notice it when I turn pc on again after having it off overnight, but it doesn't seem to happen every time. If it is the battery can anyone tell me where to find it? I know nothing about motherboards! But the one in my pc is an Asus P5K SE if that helps! Many thanks!

Edited by struggling artist, 27 July 2008 - 06:39 AM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Artist,

We would advise you to start your own topic, it helps our volunteers keep things straight and also helps the original poster, if he is tracking the topic.

But since we're already here, let's see if we can find that battery. Have you opened your computer and looked? It is fairly easy to find. Look near the bottom of your computer, near the card that the monitor plugs into. There should also be some cables running from the hard drive and CD drive into the motherboard, again near the bottom, look where the wires hook in and you should see that watch battery.

struggling artist

struggling artist

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Admiral,
I wasn't sure of the protocol, so didn't start a new topic, but you answered anyway, what a star! I will take a look and with your help it shouldn't be too hard to find. Yet again I am so grateful for the work you guys do, invaluable! Many thanks, (Struggling) Artist.
p.s. I like that you left the "Struggling" bit off my name - maybe that bodes well for the future! : )