Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting stop error! HELP please!

• Please log in to reply

lauren110906

lauren110906

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My dell laptop was working fine 2 days ago and then I left it on for a moment and when I returned it was a black screen that I could not get out of. When I turned it off it came up and said that it was not shut down properly and I chose to start windows normally. It shows the XP loading screen but then goes to a blue screen and gives me the stop error 0x00000024. I was going to do what it told me to on the screen but I am not able to get past the error. I cant open into safe mode or back to good config...nothing works! So I went into the symptom tree and all tests passed there. I was going to use the symantec recovery to restore to original state but that just freezes when I click on recover. It did let me run the tests from there and came back with no virus but when I tried to run a check on the drives it says that the C drive has un-recognizable files and cant check it. My laptop is from dell so I dont have any actual disks that came with it and I really need it for school, is there anyway I can fix this on my own?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you'll need to borrow a retail or a OEM xp cd and run chkdsk /f/r
OR you can remove the drive and slave it to a working system and get your data backed up ..
then run chkdsk /f/r ..while its hooked up as a slave

lauren110906

lauren110906

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Any step by step on removing and hooking up as a slave? I know a little but not all of it...any help here would be great!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what is the make and model number of your computer...

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

My laptop is from dell so I dont have any actual disks that came with it

Contact Dell Technical support by Chat or phone (800-624-9896) for a CD and you'll get it the next business day (Monday if you call before 5:00 PM today).

lauren110906

lauren110906

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a dell E1405 with xp media and I tried to call them to get the disk but they said that since the warranty is up they wont send it. any other options?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...go here...for restore cd's
but first try getting the data with puppy linux...
the restore cd will wipe the drive and put it back like the day you bought it...

puppy will load and run totally in ram...

get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ......in this case its puppy linux
3. Select the ISO file
4. Suggestion ==> Check the option "Fix close"
5. Click on "Start"

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to
your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...(about half the screen width)..then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to

the narrowest you can..(about half the screen width)...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmounting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

AFTER YOUR DATA'S SAFE...
you should still find someone with a xp cd to run chkdsk on your computer...
you can also run a repair or sfc /scannow from the xp cd

the restore disk should be a last resort

Edited by happyrck, 20 July 2008 - 05:09 PM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
EDIT: Try Dell again. We should be able to get you disks....

Edited by The Admiral, 21 July 2008 - 06:31 AM.

lauren110906

lauren110906

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright my Dell disks came this morning what's next?