Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Key - Install or run program?

• Please log in to reply

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
When I attempt to open most removable media such as USB thumb-drives on my laptop (running Windows Vista), the default action and the action taken upon double click is not what I wish it to be. It attempts to "Install or run program", as opposed to simply opening it.

Posted Image

And of course, this action fails:

Posted Image

Any assistance you may provide would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you checked to see if USB is disabled in the BIOS? There could be a lot of reasons you USB is not working. Chek the USB man's website to find out what to look for your problem.

http://www.usbman.co...ter General.htm

SRX660

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
What happens if you click on 'open' or 'open as a portable device'? Are you able to see the files on it then?

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
The USB drive works fine if you choose open. My other USB devices have no problem running, it's just that any removable media tries to "Install or run program" as default instead of "open".

The device in the screenshot is a Kingston DTI 4GB (see link here). This drive does not have a feature such as the U3 autorun that may interfere or confuse Vista. It is just a standard thumbdrive.

Edited by wm_hunter, 18 July 2008 - 04:06 PM.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Issue resolved.. the hard way.

It appears I: was the problem, perhaps being reserved by another program, but was not being done properly or the program had a corrupt uninstall. By having my PowerISO reserve I: as a virtual drive, I was able to have the USB key assigned J:, and it then browsed by default as opposed to "Install or run".

Thank you to all for your assistance.

Edited by wm_hunter, 19 July 2008 - 05:10 PM.

sreeram koppisetti

sreeram koppisetti

• Pip
  • 1 posts
lkjjbjk