Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64 bit amd athlon processor

• Please log in to reply

happycrafter

happycrafter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am about to purchase a new computer by buying all the components separately and was recommended the following amd processor
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6000.

I will be installing windows xp on the new PC as I don't want Vista at all. I mentioned this processor to a friend who just purchased a new PC himself and he tells me that I should not get a 64 bit processor as a lot of my older programs will not be compatible. I have spent all morning trying to do research on the internet about this but got even more confused as I saw lots of topics on vista 32 and 64 bit. I can't seem to understand the difference between the 32 and 64 on a piece of hardware and software. I do hope someone can explain this to me as there seems to be only 64 bit processors for sale in the shop I am going to purchase my computer. I did ring them and they did not really explain it properly to me but just said there would be no problems........... (they would say that, they want to sell it)

thanks in advance for your help,

Jo :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It'll be fine regardless of what you install on it.