Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Bridge or WDS with Speedtouch 780 and linksys wrt54gs

• Please log in to reply

crazygerad

crazygerad

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, I have been investigating all around the net and I feel dumber than ever.

What I have:
Speedtouch 780WL that is connected to ADSL internet.
Linksys wrt54gs model with official firmware 7.5
Xbox 360
Laptop Windows XP Home 32 bits
Main PC Windows XP PRO 32 bits

Problem: I have a PS3 and an Xbox 360 that I want to connect wirelessly to my Speedtouch but they are 30 feet away and bringing them closer is not an option. I have measured the wifi range of the speedtouch is around 15 feet this with a psp. I want the linksys to connect to the speedtouch so they increase the wireless cloud. And thus these two console machines can connect to the network.

What I know: I know that there is something called WDS and wireless bridged networking. I know that there is the option of installing another firmware for the linksys. But assume I know nothing and please take me step by step as much as you can. I have no knowledge on how to set it up.

What I have done so far: I have set the speedtouch settings to allow WDS and I have scanned for the linksys router but there is no positive result.

My testing environment right now is my main PC is connected to the speedtouch and I am changing settings there. I disabled the laptops wireless capabilities and Ethernet connected the linksys router to it. I am controlling the linksys from the laptop. I think that if this worked the connected laptop without wireless should have a signal or that if I do enable the wireless when I connect it to the linksys it will connect to the internet.

I hope I was specific enough if you need more details I will be happy to oblige. Your help is greatly appreciated as I think the room is going to be painted fully in red from my head banging against it.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
15 feet is atrocious! Make sure your antennae are secure on your Linksys router. Try resetting to default settings, after getting the important information from the setup page or ISP.

crazygerad

crazygerad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
it is from the speedtocuh router and it seems I briked the linksys thing. Oh well.

crazygerad

crazygerad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No, I didn't brick it. Ok, for anyone with this problem or wanting to do this (not that many I think) these are the things you should know.

The linksys setup program doesn't natively allow what I wanted to do, a wireless repeater or wireless bridge. If it does I found no documentation on how to do this.

You will need to flash (overwrite the setup app or OS) your router with another OS so that it enables these functionalities as long as the hardware allows it. I used the tool called dd-wrt you can find it here http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/. Be careful as doing this wrong may brick (permanently render useless) your router.
There you must look at the supported devices to see if your router is already there and then look on instructions on how to do this.

They will enlighten you on how to do this since I am a zero to the left when it comes to networking. Also read about extending your wireless range tips.

I had a bug with the setup access in which I had to enable the other access options to see the setup page. Still it enabled me to do exactly what I wanted. I have connected the wii and the PS3 and it works good. Still haven't tested with online play but considering the whole invention to get it working it may or may not have the speeds I would like. One step at a time :).