Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on startup

• Please log in to reply

Eycebyte

Eycebyte

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, Ive been trying to find help for my problem for a few days now. While in the middle of using IE I got the blue screen of death, and now when i start up my computer as soon as it gets to loading XP it goes right back to the BSOD.
the Stop error code is: 0x00000024
If the numbers in () are important i will post those.

ps: my IE was acting up a lot lately giving me random little errors, and I know I havn't visited a website or downloaded anything that could give me a virus.

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

* General Discussion
http://support.micro...=228888&sd=RMVP

Running Chkdsk

You will need a XP CD. Boot your computer from your Windows XP Cd and when the menu comes up, select boot from CD. # Your computer will begin to boot. Eventually, you will see a screen asking you what you would like to do. Press the letter R on your keyboard to proceed to the Windows Recovery Console.

# As you progress to the Recovery Console you may be asked which partition you would like to boot into. Type the number associated with the partition containing your NTFS partition (usually 1 or 2) and then press enter to continue. You may be asked for your administrator password. If you have one, type it in and press enter. If you do not have a password to boot your computer into Windows, simply press enter.

Now you should be at a command prompt. from here, type the following command without the quotes and press enter: "chkdsk /p"

This is a short test that will tell you whether or not a longer test is needed. If after the test completes, the message "One or more errors detected on the volume" appears, then proceed to step 6. If no errors are reported, then your drive can not be repaired using chkdsk.

Now you should be back at the command prompt. Type the following command without the quotes and press enter: "chkdsk /r"

This test will take a while depending on the size of your drive. It will look for the errors on your drive and repair them. When it completes, you will be back at a command prompt.

Now type "chkdsk /p" again and press enter. If no errors are reported, your drive has been successfully repaired and is safe to use again temporarily. If errors are still reported, then your drive is on its last leg and will need replacing. You may be able to boot it now though. Restart the computer and see if XP boots normally.

SRX660

Eycebyte

Eycebyte

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks! fixed it up and working again