Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User does not have access privileges

• Please log in to reply

queendom

queendom

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I recently wiped my HD clean and did a clean reinstall. I had backed up my files using Carbonite's online, automatic back-up program. Now that I have reinstalled most of the files back to my computer, I have found that I have been completely unsuccessful with accessing my files. These MS Word documents reveal the following error message, when I try to open them. "The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open. Click OK, and then close open dialog boxes to continue." Once I click OK to proceed, another error message also appears. It indicates, "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges."

Here are the steps I have taken thus far...
reinstall and repair run for MS Word
taken ownership of files as indicated here http://support.micro...om/?kbid=308421
reboot

Nothing has helped. These files are extremely important to my work and school. I would SO appreciate assistance!!!

Specs
System - Microsoft Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
Computer - Dell XPS M140
MS Edition: MS Office 2003 Basic

THANKS

Advertisements