Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with 99% cpu "explorer.exe" usage

• Please log in to reply

Give_Up

Give_Up

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Yesterday my laptop slowed to a grueling speed all of the sudden. I was doing nothing more than relocating some files from a folder to my desktop when the computer locked up.

The computer is now at 99% Cpu usage for explorer.exe and wont move, (it jumps between 94-99 some of the time.)

Can anyone help me out or lead me in the right direction.

Any help is appreciated laptop is needed for studying and its impossible to work with this lag. (I work with photoshop and maya and it takes 20minutes for them to open!)

Thanks Give_Up

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to restore the computer to a date before you had this problem. To do this click Start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore.

Give_Up

Give_Up

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
won't this erase all of my installed programs and files? What will it/ wont it erase. Thanks.

Also what about this

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

would "repairing" windows be of any use to
me?

Edited by Give_Up, 21 July 2008 - 08:26 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Restore will not damage your data. We try to solve problems starting with the fast and easy. XP repair should not be made at this point of time.

Give_Up

Give_Up

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
system restore did not work. Explorer.exe has calmed down but system idle process is now peaking and ccrashing the computer.

I've included a screen capture of the task manager.

Attached Thumbnails

• tskmngr.JPG

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The table looks as it should. The higher the value of Idle processes the better. What do you mean by the computer "crash". Please give us specific details.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
system idle process is supposed to be that high...that means that percentage is available to use...
EDIT...sorry..The Skeptic types faster

Edited by happyrck, 22 July 2008 - 10:38 AM.

Give_Up

Give_Up

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
just to clarify the initial restore did not work. It just stated "system restore could not complete".

And what i meant by crash is, in opening an application, the application will simply disapear upon minimization and be unable to be re-opened, i try several times to reopen a certain application and then it locks up, my mouse freezes in place etc. So it doesnt crash per say.

When i access the task manager the programs arn't there either, i have to end the process and re start the application if i want to use it again after minizing it, if i minimize my task manager i basically have to restart the comp because i have no way of accesing the programs i have minimized.

It is also still slower than usual although not as bad as before.

------------------------------------------------

further inspection shows that they are minimizing to the system tray.

--------------------------------------------------
system restore has now worked and the only problem is now the minimizing applications which isnt all to bad, it probably has something to do with object dock or windows blinds.

You have been a great help and reassurance, thank you very much skeptic for all your time.

Edited by Give_Up, 22 July 2008 - 11:27 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My pleasure.