Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

e m

e m

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a dell latitude CPi laptop running on 98, but I want to upgrade to 2000. Does anyone know what I have to do to upgrade? Any sites I can get the program from? Preferably free.THX

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows 2000 is commercial software. Any "freeware" version of any Microsoft Program is going to be a version that's either cracked, stolen or in some way dodgy. Windows 2000 is not available commercially any longer bar second-hand copies on eBay.

e m

e m

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So if I went ahead and bought the program, what do I have to do to prepare my computer?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well first off all you will want to go to dell to see if they offer drivers for windows 2000.... That will be your biggest problem.... since it is a laptop you may have difficulties finding drivers and there may be campatibility issues with the bios features etc... Also unless you can find a 2000 upgrade ( which may or may not upgrade 98 ) you would have to back up anything you wanted as you'd have to format and fresh install everything....