Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can a virus do this?

• Please log in to reply

Enemy of Empire

Enemy of Empire

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an account at a social networking site - yuwie.com

In April, there was a problem on the site. All posts on the site clubs message boards were cut to the same character string length of 14. The club message boards were the only part of the site to be affected. The site owner blamed this on a virus attack which had affected thousands of other web sites.

I have my doubts. I didn't think that viruses were this specific. I don't know very much about viruses so I could be wrong. This is why I've come here. Something just smelled about the excuse of a virus attack and others were of the same opinion. One member, who is a lot more of a techie than me, believes that it was a problem with the site's database software and not backing up their data. Judging by the performance of the site and it's admin so far, I'm inclined to think that the virus story was just an excuse to cover up their incompetence.

So it would be much appreciated if anyone could please enlighten me on this one

Thank you

EoE

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
This wouldn't even have to be a virus. Someone could have exploited their code directly with a buffer overflow.

To answer your question:

Yes, a virus can do that.

Will you ever know what really happned?

Probably not.

Either way it is the hosting sites job to secure their databases and etc against hackers.

Enemy of Empire

Enemy of Empire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you Methodman

I was kind of expecting this reply, but I had to ask people who know about such things, just to satisfy my own curiosity

No, we'll never know

The whole site has been put together on the cheap. Their code is an off the peg freebie with everything patched in around it

The site sucks really and judging by current traffic rankings, it won't be getting any Christmas cards

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
May I ask what hosting service this is?

Enemy of Empire

Enemy of Empire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yuwie's servers are listed as

NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM, NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM, NS3.MYDOMAIN.COM, NS4.MYDOMAIN.COM

at domainsbyproxy.com

That was the last whois info anyway. Unless the site owner - Korry Rogers - is using his new domain registrar as a hosting company. He recently changed his registrar to godaddy - bad move I think. Godaddy don't have a very good rep. They have a habit of closing down sites very quickly. They did it once within 52 seconds of sending a site's owners a voicemail message. Plus they make donations to opponents of net neutrality i.e. Senators Ted Stevens and John McCain. Rant over.

If I can confirm the name of the hosting service I'll let you know

Update - Domains By Proxy Inc. are an affiliate of Godaddy so it looks like everything is with Godaddy, in one way or another

Edited by Enemy of Empire, 22 July 2008 - 04:31 AM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Intersesting...I have some friends who recommended using 1and1 for hosting, but I went through godaddy for simplicity when I bought my domain name... I'll have to keep that in mind...

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Oops! Double post :)

Edited by jt1990, 07 August 2008 - 04:37 PM.