Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Vista x86 vs x64?

• Please log in to reply

shawnhath

shawnhath

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Which should I get the 32-bit or 64-bit?

Here is the comp I'm planing to build:

Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Rosewill RP500-2 ATX12V v2.01 500W Power Supply - Retail

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P800R22GK - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200 - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail

I already have a case onsite.
But do you think this stuff will work?

Advertisements

shawnhath

shawnhath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oh and also do the Adobe CS3 programs work on 64bit?

shawnhath

shawnhath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
bump

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
quit bumping your own thread. All it does is make it seam like someone is assisting you.

Will cs3 work on vista x64? Yes. If you have issues follow the instructions listed here: http://blogs.msdn.co...-vista-x64.aspx

It will be a while yet before they release a native x64 version of cs3. If your going to be doing a lot of adobe, add more memory. x64 will allow you to fully address the full 4 gigs of ram or more. x32 is limited to 3.25gigs or ram. with sp1 installed, it will register 4 gigs of ram, but due to 32 bit addressing, it will not use all of it.

The hw choices will work, even if they are somewhat on the budget side. Processor is certainly good. You didn't mention what video card you were looking at.

shawnhath

shawnhath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oh sorry about bumping and i forgo to add the video card like you said here it is:

EVGA 256-P2-N761-AR GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

So do you think everything would work out fine. (this is my first build =p Im only 15)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
For you, I would suggest going with vista 32bit unless your going to be doing a lot a video related stuff. Then I would consider going to x64. However, I would rather you spend the savings on a better power supply. I would recommend something in the 600 watt ratting. This will allow you to have a system that has sufficient power when your taxing it for video or gaming. It also makes sure that your not shorting the life of your system by starving the componets of power.

For some light reading about power supplies, I suggest http://anandtech.com...doc.aspx?i=3359.

Overall I think your good to go.

boy9enius08

boy9enius08

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yes 32 Bit would be your best bet. Only reason I could see for using 64 bit is if your using 4 gigs of ram or a 64 bit processor. those of which u have neither

shawnhath

shawnhath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I actually changed my video card to:
PNY Verto GeForce 8500GT 512MB Video Card (due to cash problems)

I am going to upgrade more and more as I get money...
(Hoping to upgrade the MB first =p)

and i just bought the 32 bit home premium vista which I will install tomorrow after build

Thanks for you support!

Edited by shawnhath, 22 July 2008 - 09:03 PM.