Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

root.mebroot

• Please log in to reply

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
So, I just downloaded a file, and scanned it for viruses like always. I use norton on this partition, and it came back that the file was infected with root.mebroot. However, the action taken was "left alone". Some googling revealed it's norton's name for a particular rootkit, but not much on how to get rid of it, etc. The file itself is in .rar format. So, I have a two part question: because norton took no action can I assume it's safe, and, if not, is it safe to unzip it if I don't run the infected file?

Edited by WhoCares2021, 23 July 2008 - 10:30 PM.

Advertisements

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
So, new issue. The location of the file is master boot record, which leads me to believe I may already be infected. I looked up the manual way of deleting the problem, which involves using the recovery console in XP and typing fixmbr. However, I get an error message that says something about how my partitions are non-standard, and writing a new master boot record could render my hard drive unreadable. Obviously that's not something I want to risk, so I didn't go through with it. Is there any other way to get rid of this thing?

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
One last thing I should mention, I suppose. I used partition magic to create a second partition to install windows vista on. I'm not sure if that's why windows is saying my partitions are non-standard or not.