Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't read DVD drives

• Please log in to reply

warcholc

warcholc

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm having a lot of problems with my computer running Windows XP reading many of the various drives. I am getting very inconsistent reading of either of my two DVD drives (E: and F:) and when I put a disk in and go to explorer, I can't see the contents of the disk. Also, I have like 4 or 5 phantom drives (G:, H:, I:, J:, K:, etc.) which must have been created when I removed a jump drive without removing safely. I tried numerous times to get those to go away, but they always come back. Also, when I do plug in a device into a UBC jack, sometimes it will read it, but usually it will not (like when I plug in the digitial camera, it doesn't see it). Bottom line is my drives are all screwed up. Everything looks fine in my device manager but I need some help to get things working again. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello warcholc...

Sorry for the delay in getting to you.

The first thing to look at is the autoplay settings in the registry. Use the Autoplay Repair Wizard to do that.

Do you have a multicard reader in your machine? They will often assign a drive letter to each port which would explain your "phantom drives".

wannabe1