Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Attempt a Building a Cheap Gaming Computer.

• Please log in to reply

Ryoga

Ryoga

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, so for some time, I've dearly wanted a Gaming Computer. My Laptop is nice for browsing, and I didn't buy it myself, it was a christmas/Birthday combination present about three years ago.

You can imagine that it's not the tops for gaming. I have trouble running 1-2 year old RTS' and FPS', so it's not really up to spiff in terms of gaming for me.

I had a friend a while back with some expendable income that built his own computer, and recently (couple months ago) wanted to upgrade it. He would be getting rid of his Motherboard and CPU.

He's basically backed out, leaving my plan to get just what I needed cheaply down the drain.

So these past two nights I set out to Newegg.com

I don't have a load of money, But I was looking for something that could....
-Run modern games at roughly Medium, I'd be happy. Crysis would be peachy keen, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.
-Run Safely and Reliably, Cheaply.

Anyways, I have $350 saved, on hand. Of course that's not enough.

My Shopping Cart on NewEgg Reads $505.00

Yarr...

I understand it's pricey, and it bugs me. But before I commit to this investment, I require some help/information.

I'm not really too computer Savvy, just enough to get by, and kind-of build a computer. So, I'm going to post the URL's here, and I hope you'll give me some help/info.

Thanks ahead of time.

CD Drive - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827136144

Case W/PSU - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811121004
Here is a problem. That's a great deal as far as i'm concerned. good PSU and Case for so cheap it seems. Am I missing something?

Hard Drive - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136218
Yeah, For 30 dollars more I could have gotten 600 gigs, but I'm trying to cut corners in every way possible.

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128339
Ok, it says there's an Onboard Video Card, can't find it, and If it's there, I really hope it's a 9600 or 8800 GT, or something comparable that can run more recent/modern games. Please O' Please, some help is needed.

Memory - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231122
no problem here, If I can find it, I'll get 4 gigs for less. I just want it to run smooth enough for gaming..again >.<

CPU - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103773
Alright, I've read this one is good enough to bring my system specs up to spiff. Hopefully. Let's hope. Thoughts?

That's all I've got for you. Any help, please. I'm in dire straits, and I need a guiding hand or words of advice/comfort on this subject. it's almost 3 AM, got work in the morning, and for the second night i've done this. Please and thanks.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Here is a problem. That's a great deal as far as i'm concerned. good PSU and Case for so cheap it seems. Am I missing something?

Yes, the PSU is of such low quality, that it'll likely fry your investment. The only Case/PSU combo that I can recommend in the Sonata 3 from Antec.

Ok, it says there's an Onboard Video Card, can't find it, and If it's there, I really hope it's a 9600 or 8800 GT, or something comparable that can run more recent/modern games. Please O' Please, some help is needed.

I'm sorry to say, that onboard GPU doesn't even have a 1/4 of the performance of a 8800GT. The best onboard solution on the market is on the following motherboard.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128090
I've done a few builds with it, with great success. There are lots of negative comments regarding the hot north bridge. Gigabyte just released a revision of this motherboard to address this issue.
You are also may encounter a issue with ACHI. You simply need to change it to the IDE mode in the BIOS.

CD Drive - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827136144

Not sure if you have this drive already.... If not, then I suggest getting either a Samsung or Pioneer drive and the SATA interface is a must.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827129032

no problem here, If I can find it, I'll get 4 gigs for less. I just want it to run smooth enough for gaming..again >.<

On a budget as tight as your own, you're better off to get 2GB of RAM, it'll be sufficiant.

Lastly, you are missing a OS in your list. Do you already have one?

Hope this helps :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 July 2008 - 12:50 AM.

Ryoga

Ryoga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, glad I came here. I'd be completely done for otherwise.

Ah...Well, It seems my idea of the build is horrible.

how about we just scratch my first post and start anew?

Does anyone have any specs or showing of a gaming computer that can be built for under $550.00 and run modern games?

It'd be much appreciated, Since I obviously fail in making a coherent and capable build. First time and all.

Thanks ahead of time.

Edit-

Also, that suggested motherboard, would that perhaps come even somewhat close to an 8800 or something similar. Honestly, this is going to be gaming exclusive computer, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty, Heck, Crysis if I can find a way to run it off a cheap build. Again, thanks for your time.

Edited by Ryoga, 23 July 2008 - 12:57 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Ah...Well, It seems my idea of the build is horrible.

No it wasn't bad at all, I'm just here to give constructive criticism. What you posted was compatible, so there is nothing wrong with it. It's difficult to keep up with this industry and no one is expected too, you did a good job :)
Remember, we learn from our mistakes. It's the only way we'll get any better at the things we do :)

It'd be much appreciated, Since I obviously fail in making a coherent and capable build. First time and all.

You didn't fail at all, everything was compatible with one another, that alone is a great achievement. I'm sorry if I made you feel this way.

Also, that suggested motherboard, would that perhaps come even somewhat close to an 8800 or something similar.

Sorry, onboard GPUs cannot compete with any high end discrete GPU.

Honestly, this is going to be gaming exclusive computer, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty, Heck, Crysis if I can find a way to run it off a cheap build.

What resolution do you intend on gaming at? If you want to game on the cheap, you might be better off purchasing a console, rather then buying a computer.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 July 2008 - 01:20 AM.

Ryoga

Ryoga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
haven't read your full post yet, but you didn't make me feel bad, I'm just a tad pessimistic i'm told. You're great, very helpful.

Ok. Well I do console game, but I just find PC gaming to be the tops. I have a friend with a high-end PC, and it's really fun. Best way to play Valve games if you ask me. Anyways, I suppose i'll keep lurking in hopes of finding a cheap build. Thanks for your help thus far.

Edited by Ryoga, 23 July 2008 - 01:20 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It is possible to do a cheap gaming build, but in all honesty, I think you'll be disappointed with the final results based on the information that I have gathered from your posts.
~$800 is the entry level to a basic, but decent gaming machine IMO. That being said, we can still put something together for $550, if you really want to. The resolution that you game at will have the greatest impact on the performance of your hardware.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 July 2008 - 01:25 AM.

Ryoga

Ryoga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Resolution, Question, still a bit confused on that. A higher Resolution, means a larger screen size in-game, and overall better graphics?
If so, So long as I can play the games I mentioned, even on Low or Medium, I'd be happy. Medium being ideal, but i'll take what I can get.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Resolution is the pixels on your screen. For example, my monitor has a resolution of 1680x1050
I have 1680 pixels horizontally, 1050 pixels vertically.
James

Ryoga

Ryoga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks. I'd be happy with A small resolution, but a working game.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Alright, but what is the resolution of your current monitor? Do you even have a monitor?
If you plan on using the monitor you have right now in the build, then I'll have you run a program to verify this information for me.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 July 2008 - 10:15 AM.

platophoon

platophoon

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:)