Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Video Card

• Please log in to reply

RussellV

RussellV

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a PCI or PCI 1X video card. The one I am looking at right now is a VisionTek Radeon X1300 (256 MB) PCI Video Card. I am adding it to my wifes Dell Dimension E310 to replace the on-board video she currently uses. I have looked at a lot of the upgrade forums here and other places and they seem to be a little out of date, so I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for a card. She is not a "hardcore" gamer, but she does like a few of the newer games like Overlord that needs a lot better video card than the on-board one that she has. The only problem I have is that the RAdeo cards seem to use some of the RAM, she currently has 1GB and her on-board uses something like 128MB of it, so it shouldn't be an issue but I prefer the video card to use its own memory.

Thank you all for your suggestion!

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The best card available for the PCI interface is the Radeon 2400PRO. Don't expect to be maxing out graphic options on this thing, though. You will have to settle for medium or low settings on most games, and some won't be able to be played at all. If your wife finds she needs more power to play a game, you will have to get a new computer with a PCI-E slot, as this is as high as you can go with PCI.

RussellV

RussellV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for that info stettybet0. I know we are a little outdated, that is what I get for buying a Dell instead of building one. When her old PC motherboard went out I didn't have time to build a new one.