Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing forums - Solved

• Please log in to reply

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
I'm trying to install a forum for my site, I upload all the files to the server I am using, I have made a mysql database , when all the files have been uploaded I can get to the installation page, set it up the lot but when I click on any link it comes up page cannot be displayed yet all the files are uploaded.

I have set all the required permissions but which ever one I use it won't work :)

I'll have another go and see where I go but what else can I double check? and which other ones can I try?

I am also reviewing another possible web hosting plan as the one I am with is giving me problems and won't run the most popular forum phpbb :)

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 23 July 2008 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you run through the FAQs yet? Especially the Installation Questions.

Tried: The Online Manual; forum search or asking their community?

Not sure if InvisionFree would be easier.

Ron

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Major Payne and cheers for a reply

I have read the FAQ's and nothing came up, I have zetaboards at the moment (which has replaced invisionfree) as I think its easy to use but one of the main reasons I am wanting a forum to upload to my site is so I don't have any adverts as I don't like them and I think this is the only answer.

phpbb won't work as it doesn't meet the requirements but I did have it on php4 and not php5 so I think that maybe why but I don't know.

I have yet to ask their community which I will do later as I like to try and get everything done by my-self if i can. I am having another go now as I speak and will see what I can come up with.

Thanks

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Major Payne

Sorry to double post but this is just to let you know with my consistant attempts I have got this sorted and the thread can be closed :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Glad to hear you got it solved. Just in case anyone was following this thread, would you post your solution for all to see? Thanks.

Ron

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
I will do my very best :)

This should work for almost any forum software :) first of all you need to decide which you are wanting to use, download this, make a folder called forum and extract the files and folders to that folder.

Next you need to create a mysql database (this will very from host to host), next using a ftp client upload every single file to your website, with some you will need to change the permissions to 777 however I never needed to do that :)

When all files and folders have been uploaded you need to goto the installation path of the forum to set your forum up and link it to your mysql database. For example a path will look something like this

http://www.userswebsite.com/forum/install

or

http://www.userswebsite.com/forum

Then navigate around the folders to you see the welcome screen. Next you need to enter all your mysql information, after that you will need to create your user account so you can login, some may ask if you want to delete the installer, ask it to do so, if it does not ask delete it.

When all that has been completed you should see your forum ;)

Also read any instructions you see as these may give you extra hints after you have installed your forum :)

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 23 July 2008 - 04:01 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thank you for taking the time to wrap this theme up. I'm sure it will be helpful to someone.

Ron