Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One computer can’t access my computer while everyone else can.

• Please log in to reply

Alkamar

Alkamar

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Problem…
I recently installed a new XP Professional computer on the network. I am trying to access a Vista computer, which everyone else can access even another XP computer. The new XP computer is a reinstall from a previous installation that was able to connect to my computer.
Everyone can access the XP computer, but he cannot access my computer, and only he cannot access my computer…

I have tried over a dozen fixes, registries, Winsock Fixes, resetting int IP, tried even a new Ethernet card, and it is still not working…
I need some help because this is just getting frustrating for me and I am about to drop kick it out the window…
Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

Alkamar

Alkamar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
At another person request I installed a program called “Network Magic” and it made things even worse, I couldn’t connect to the internet, It said that nothing was connected to the router, and windows said that I didn’t even have an Ethernet card.

I am forced to reinstall XP. Hopefully it is a good install and hopefully Network Magic didn’t cause any permanent damage (which I highly doubt it did) to the Ethernet card.

Alkamar

Alkamar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That were was nothing wrong with the other PC, it was my PC... instead of just turning off all sharing, and disabling everything I have shared, I turned and disabled all sharing, restarted (most important part I guess) and logged back on, everything like MSN, Groove, and Windows Live Mail, all the passwords were reset and I had to type all the information again... strage as it sounds, I re-enabled all the sharing and it worked just fine...

So I suppose it's all good...

I'm just glad the Ethernet card I was using wasn't the one on the main board, it was that I had switched out to see if it was something wrong with the onboard ethernet controller...

Although it was a very good card it was a little out-dated.