Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating multiple networks in the same house

• Please log in to reply

Grinsa

Grinsa

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a question. I currently am using a Belkin Wireless N Router for my DSL wireless network, but is it possible to hook up another modem to another DSL and buy a D-link gaming wireless N router and bridge the two routers. This would give an option to choose two different networks but also set a stronger signal if its possible to bridge two different brands. Any suggestions??

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Both routers need to support bridging. Typically this is done with one router and one Access Point. It is typically a good idea not to mix brands. You won't need another modem. If you want separate networks (no idea why) you would need to use different subnets and a different subnet mask.

Grinsa

Grinsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I see. Thanks for the advice. The reason I was wanting to was in case of one network failure which probably never happens, but it was an idea.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
This is known as "redundancy" and is typically only done when you have two ISPs or a redundant line from your ISP. In that case you would want a dual WAN router.