Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2007 Pro Plus

• Please log in to reply

gwtwins

gwtwins

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Earlier this year my company upgraded all of us to Office 2007. I read about some of the changes and was somewhat excited! :D Like the ability to have spreadsheets of more than 65K rows and 256 columns. In my job duties I often look at data in Access that is hundreds of thousands if lines long. More than 256 columns seldom comes into play , it's really the rows that initially made me happy. Now I could export these large tables to excel spreadsheets and manipulate the data in excel. :)

Well now the ability of Excel to handle more than 65K rows seems more like a curse than anything else!! ;) :) Recently, I exported an Access table to Excel and it took around 30 minutes. :) Not too mention that the process hogged all of my systems resources and locked up my machine. :) Now whenever I try to open that spreadsheet in Excel it takes at least another 5 minutes to open it!

I'm running an IBM (Lenovo) T43 Thinkpad with a 1.86 GHz Pentium M processor and 1.5 GB of 782 MHz RAM. My operating system is XP Pro w/ SP3. Anybody got any ideas as to why this is such a painful process and how to speed it up? :) Or is that just the way it is? Would kind of defeat the purpose of increasing the capacity of Excel if it is!! :)

Advertisements

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hmm.. Here are a few things that you can try: 1. Defragment your hard drive. 2. If the defrag doesn't help improve anything, you may want to consider increasing your RAM.

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Already did the defrag... no effect. I'm not sure I can add much more RAM to this particular laptop? I think it maxes out at 2 GB?? But maybe this is just the business case I need for the company to give me a new laptop!! :)

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I see this thread is being viewed quite often but there are no replies. That leads me to believe that a lot of other folks are experiencing this issue too but have not gotten anywhere solving it?? Anybody got anything????