Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help on how to delete an email in Outlook Express that maybe a vi

• Please log in to reply

AmyR2

AmyR2

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi,
How is everyone doing?
I seem to possibly have a virus that was sent to me. I haven't opened the email or anything, but think it maybe a virus due to what came up on my mom's computer screen when she tried to open it. An email one of my friends sent me I thought was true to because the very weird thing is that it in the subject line that it's an invitation for a BBQ at her house. It was sent to my hotmail, and the attachment wouldn't open, so forwarded to my mom's account and she checked it on her computer.
See, my friend who just had a baby in May, plus a husband is in the war zone again because of them in the military. Plus my friend's birthday is also coming up at the end of July. So, a few days for now.
When my mom opened the email, it doesn't have a time or date, or even which house of hers, plus the name at the bottom is not her name. Some guy named Carlos is what it said, which isn't even her husbands name or anyone in her family.
Is this somekind of new virus that is going around or something to trick us to open it?

Anyways, so it is in my Outlook Express because I had forward it to my other email to see if somehow it was just a problem with Hotmail not opening the attachment for some reason.
I know in Hotmail it has those boxes that you can check, so you don't have to actually open the email to delete it.
Which in my Outlook Express if I click on the message to delete it, it will open in the bottom screen there. Is there anyway to delete it in Outlook Express without having to click on the message? I tried asking our ISP and they said they wouldn't help and would be additional fees for them to help.
Thanks,
Amy

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have always been told to not preview the emails because it will allow infection if it is a virus. This sounds like what you have been told.

My thoughts are to change your view.
Find it under View/layout/ preview pane. Uncheck the preview box.

This will show just your messages and no preview of them. I would then say you are safe to delete. Just don't double click to open.