Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fixed Width or Not?

• Please log in to reply

Liadan

Liadan

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm redesigning my site a little, & trying to decide whether to use a fixed width or not. What do you think site visitors generally prefer?

Right now, my site does not have a fixed width, but it seems like a lot of sites I see now are fixed width.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Depends on whether you are designing your site for viewers you expect to have the monitors set to view your pages properly. If not, you might think about using percentages to make your pages more fluid. There are methods to detect screen resolutions and deliver the correct CSS/Page9s), but they rely on methods that do not always work in everyone's browser. Cramming too much content on a page just because its wider/longer doesn't necessarily help.

Ron