Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Creation Login Problems

• Please log in to reply

Retardo

Retardo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with..... Here goes.

I was trying to create a home network for my girlfriend and I to link our laptops together. My computer is owned by my Employer. Anyways, I went into the Network Connections and then tried to change my network. I selected that I did not have a domain when it gave me the two options. I then proceed with this process and created a new name for the network. After that, it asked me to restart the computer for changes to take effect. When i restarted it, I could no longer log into the computer. It gave me no domain options or anything. Now is all I have at my login screen is OK, Cancel, Shut Down, or <<options.

Can someone please help me restore my original settings or at least get me logged back into my laptop?

PLEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEE HELP!!!!! Thank You!

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
You'll need to enter a correct user account name and the corresponding password (if it has one) to be logged in.

How were you able to log in to your employers laptop before you had this problem?

Retardo

Retardo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Before I messed with the settings i would always log in under a domain called ATLANTA. I tried using that username and password on the new setting but it did not work. the old setting gave me several different options that I could choose from when logging into the computer. I did not know any of the other usernames and passwords for the other domain names though. In fact, the only option that I could log into was the ATLANTA domain/location. Now that I made this screw up, it does not even give me an option to change the domain/location. The only options it gives me are username and password. The drop down box has disappeared!

I tried restarting and entering the f8 screen before windows started, but I don't know what option to select. I tried doing a system restore from the last working setting, but it still gave me no options to change the domain/location. I don't have any clue what in the [bleep] i did to this thing.

Is there any way of resolving this on my own or should i just wait until Monday and call our IT department at my work?

Edited by Retardo, 26 July 2008 - 01:31 AM.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
I don't quite understand what went wrong either.
Can you tell me in as much detail as you can, the things you did to get to this problem?

Is there any way of resolving this on my own or should i just wait until Monday and call our IT department at my work?

That would be best. We don't really fix company-owned equipment here in the forums. But if it's a really simple matter, maybe we could help out. That's why I'm hoping that you could give more details. Hopefully it's just a simple matter. (kinda like adding a shortcut to the quick launch panel :))