Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building computer, need a bit of advice

• Please log in to reply

Simonomon

Simonomon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello. I've never built a computer before, but I'm sure it's not too hard since the majority of the work is plugging things in? I presume?

I have a list of things I already have to work with, but the purpose of this post is to receive suggestions regarding the other parts I'll need to buy.

Here's what I have:

8800 GTS GPU
550w antec PSU
Intel Pentium 4 processor 3.0 ghz
2gb DDR2 pc3200 4x512MB SD(I think)RAM

What else do I need?

(Remember, if you make a suggestion that is compatible with the items above listed, I'm probably going to buy it. So... make sure if you decide to respond, you know what you're talking about. Even though I'll try to get multiple opinions)

Also, I'm a technical newbie, so remember, I'm here to learn! Thanks!

Edited by Simonomon, 26 July 2008 - 01:29 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your post realistically is too vague as your parts could cover multiple configurations.

A P4 3Ghz processor could cover two different socket types - 478 or 775. Any other markings on the chip?
A 550w PSU may be on the low side depending on what else alongside that 8800GTS card.
Memory may or may not be possible to be used depending on the processor and the board that you have.
You'd also need a hard drive, CD unit, and optional extras are a floppy (whatever those are :)), pen drive and an obscene range of expansion devices that do everything under the sun and a little bit more.

byrddawg

byrddawg

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
To follow up what the other guy said. Floppy drives are great to get when building a computer. Out of experience, they are cheap, and depending on the motherboard you get, you may have to flash the bios manually by floppy to get it to recognize you CPU properly. I don't know much about Intel though. I just built my first system and that was one of the problems I had. What operating system are you going to have? I was thinking of upgrading to VISTA, but one of the techs at the local CPU store advised me otherwise. (I have not researched a confirmation yet) but he said Windows has been having some trouble with it and is supposed to stop supporting it in the near future when they release another OS. I stuck with an XP OEM. On another note sometimes OEM parts are great, big discount if you're just planning on throwing the box away. Windows can be purchased in this manner. I agree with Neil on the PSU. Just because it says 550w doesn't mean your gonna get 550 out of it. Check to see the efficiency of the PSU and plan accordingly. Again from experience, If you planning on upgrading as you go in the future I would definitely not waste money on a cheap-o case. I finally had to go buy another to get my upgrades to fit. I got the Antec 900. It has great airflow and plenty of room, and the connectors are easy.

One last note. If you have never been to newegg, check it out. Even if your are not planning on buying anything from there, it has a ton of reviews on products you may be looking at.

Simonomon

Simonomon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
First of all, I thank you both for your response.

Regarding the PSU, it says "High Efficiency on the side. It's been working for me for a year, so I think it's fine. It got great reviews.

Regarding the Intel P4, I couldn't tell you what it says. I don't see anything on it.

Regarding my Operating system, yes. I will be using XP. I didn't spend years of updating the OS just so I can go out and buy another one. Nice try, Microsoft.

I may just end up customizing a puget system. I'll just have to pay monthly. If they allow it.

It's too hard to build a computer with help only from the internet.

byrddawg

byrddawg

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am definitely no expert. I am still using my first build, but I am now addicted. For some reason I can't stop ugrading. It really is as easy as you thought it would be. 'You just plug stuff in." As far as overclocking and water cooling and all that other high end enthusiast stuff I have absolutely no clue. However, for a standard system I found it very rewarding. Expect some troubles, but when it comes to computers I found the saying "if it doesn't kill you it only makes you stronger." suites well. I learned alot about computers from building one, I ended up with a custom computer, and I am more confident about upgrading it. If you do decide to persue building one, I'd suggest start with the basics. Every night research a component.

Motherboard => socket type, chipsets, expanision slots, ports(SATA,USB,IDE), on board chips, sound and/or video, SLI/Crossfire, LAN/wireless ports
Memory => cache, RAM
Processors=> cache. speed, cores, sockets, (overclocking variables like multipliers that I have no idea about)
HArddrives=>size, speed(rpm), IDE or SATA connections
GPU=>SLI/Crossfire (other than that I just use charts like at Tom's Hardware site to compare) I don't understand all that goes with them

Like I said I am no expert. Neil can probably correct me or point out anything I missed.

Simonomon

Simonomon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, my only problem right now is finding a motherboard compatible with my GPU and RAM