Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan Question

• Please log in to reply

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I have this fan, and it has a 3-to-4-pin adapter, but it puts the 2 power wires into the 4-pin, and has the fan control wire into a separate 3-pin connector, but that separate 3-pin connector ONLY has the fan control wire. I guess my question is this; why would they do the 3-to-4-pin adapter with the 3-pin fan control connector? Wouldn't we just use the original 3-pin connector without the adapter if we had an open spot?

Or is there something I'm missing?

Edited by fortune82, 26 July 2008 - 10:32 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Some boards don't have enough fan take-offs for extra fans, perfectly possible to have only a CPU fan take-off and no more.
Therefore the only way to make it spin is use one of the 4-pin molex connectors, plus there are occasions where even if a fan take-off is available the cable isn't long enough to reach it from where you want the fan.

fortune82

fortune82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I just find it awkward.

Oh, and for the sake of mentioning it, I had to mount the fan in my PC with a paperclip for maximum airflow.