Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Endless reboot loop, happened after installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

greendragonzeek

greendragonzeek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Endless Boot loop XP Professional?
I just put together a computer and used the windows xp proffesional edition. It formatted my hard drive and copied files, however when it restarted it went into an endless boot up sequence. the only options I get is "delete" to enter setup which seems to offer no help or "tab" which shows the specs for some reason and the the endless boot sequence will start again in 10 seconds or the moment I hit escape. otherwise it just keeps rebooting every 7 secs If I sit back and watch it

The Motherboard is an Asus p5b-vm se
Hard drive is EIDE 320GB in case that may be a problem

I dont know what else to say, when I hold f8 to try some kind of safe mode it gives me a menu asking from what boot device to use:

Floppy Drive
IDE:WDC WD3200AAJB-5
IDE:CDU5211

none of which do anything but continue the boot sequence

thanks for the help

Additional Details

17 minutes ago
-yes i did take out the cd, still nothing
-I believe the cd might be the master because of how the ribbon cable fit better. I'm trying to check right now with my 10 second specifications view before it boots again >_<

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You let Windows format the drive? Did the drive come with a software disk? I would recommend that you start over, boot up from the software disk and delete the partition, reboot with the software disk, make a new partition and format it using the software disk, then shutdown, put in the Windows disk and reinstall. If you did not get a software disk you can download the .iso file for it from Seagate and burn it to CD as an image.

You could make a couple of partitions, say 100gb for Windows and the rest for files.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

That's one annoying thing about ASUS motherboards - they use the F8 key to bring up the boot selection menu. Once you are in that menu, select your hard drive IDE:WDC WD3200AAJB-5, and as soon as you press enter to confirm the selection, start tapping the F8 key again.

This should get you to the Windows Startup Menu, from which you can select Safe Mode.

Cheers

Troy