Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Windows XP in same directory

• Please log in to reply

amedat

amedat

• Pip
  • 2 posts
What user information/ data would I lose with this option rather than doing a repair install? I have the lsass.exe error when booting up my machine. I was looping the startup, did a repair install, but unable to get any further.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Setup will not let you install XP into the same directory and keep the data, it would delete all the files. So basically you'd keep the program files and most of the user data but you'd lose all the shortcuts and the program information out the registry.

A repair on the other hand would usually keep everything intact unless the installation is so damaged a repair just leaves it in a state you can't get out of, and then you'd have to wipe it.

amedat

amedat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm trying to do a repair install, but the lass.exe error keeps the installation from moving forward. If I use BARTpe to copy all files into a folder, then do a clean install. How would I get back my setting for the previous users' programs etc.?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the user settings and program settings reside in so many different places that it's virtually impossible to grab everything in such a way that you could format the machine and just put stuff back where it was. you also run the risk of reintroducing whatever corrupted the system in the first place...

if a repair install won't work at all then my suggestion is to cut your losses and start from scratch...after backing up any personal info and files of course