Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two questions regarding a new laptop

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I am getting a new laptop within the next two weeks and I want to know two things...

1. Should I shell out the cash for a 64-bit OS?
2. I have a Windows XP 2005 Media Center Desktop with Optimum Online High Speed Cable Connection. Can I connect a wireless router to it and still have my desktop hardwired to the internet (since it has no wireless card) ?

Prompt answers would be appreciated :)

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
No
Yes
Prompt enough?

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
very prompt :)

now, can I get some detail on how to set up the wireless connection and reasons why not to get the 64-bit OS?

please and thank you :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
reasons for x64bit os
1)need 4 gigs or more memory
2)doing lots of video related work
3)have a quad core processor

It really depends on what you do with the laptop. I have x64 on all of my systems, however for a laptop I would probably go with x32 simple because I don't need the flexibility that is has. In other words I wouldn't be taking advantage of it.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
While i am still using a wireless G router( netgear) I have had no problems setting up my computers for it. I have 2 computers that are hardwired to the router on my computer desk and 2 other desktop computers and my Acer laptop wirelessly connected. The desktops use Netgeat USB WPN 111donglesalong with their software and the Acer just worked from the get go the first time i started it after setting up the wireless router. My setup is thru a Cable modem to the wireless router, then to all the computers. Some computers were already running Zone Alarm Firewall and has not had any problems connecting as of yet. Other computers are running the Vista Microsoft firewall and still no problems. This is a far cry from setting up a network i tried to do years ago and gave up trying.

SRX660

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

reasons for x64bit os
1)need 4 gigs or more memory
2)doing lots of video related work
3)have a quad core processor

It really depends on what you do with the laptop. I have x64 on all of my systems, however for a laptop I would probably go with x32 simple because I don't need the flexibility that is has. In other words I wouldn't be taking advantage of it.

Well I'm getting 4GB of RAM, I do video editing but I don't have a quad core... s I guess I can live without it huh? :-P

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Here is a tutorial for setting up wired and wireless networks.
It is a very good article that covers about all you will need to know.
You will have to scroll down to get to the wireless.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
thank you, that is really helpful :)

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Another question about my laptop...
if I get a Dell Studio laptop with the same specs (RAM, processor, video card, etc) as an XPS laptop, does it matter in anyway, or are they just brand names?

*edit*
the studio laptops do not offer nVidia... they offer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450... is it any good as a replacement?

Edited by interpolarity, 29 July 2008 - 12:13 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
It sounds good to me. Go a link for that Studio laptop? Your going to pay a bit more for for the xps name. At any rate, I would be very happy with that ati video.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
http://www.dell.com/...g...omepg&s=dhs

there's the link...

and tx for letting me know... I'd heard of ATI, but nVidia seems to be the more popular one...
I'm saving at least $400