Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two more little problems

• Please log in to reply

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
After these problems are fixed my computer will be perfect!

1.)How can I remove a half-installed Windows XP from my computer?

I have an extra Windows XP Professional half-installed on my computer. It's a remnant of me trying to reformat my computer 2 years ago with a bad disk, but I don't know how to reverse it and get it off of there.

I believe that is what's taking up all the space on my C: and D: hard drive, as I often get the "Low Disk Space" message. I don't have any extra programs installed in those hard drives, I usually install everything on my 80G external G: drive.

When I reboot my computer, it goes to a black screen and I have the option to chose-
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Professional<---this is the half-installed one

2.)How can I reinstall windows games?

In the process of trying to get rid of the Bravia X virus (or help my computer recover, I forget) back in March, I found some odd instructions that said to uninstall some of the Windows Accessories components, games. I uninstalled it in safe mode, and now I don't know how to reinstall it. I miss playing Solitaire. :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

2.)How can I reinstall windows games?

In the process of trying to get rid of the Bravia X virus (or help my computer recover, I forget) back in March, I found some odd instructions that said to uninstall some of the Windows Accessories components, games. I uninstalled it in safe mode, and now I don't know how to reinstall it. I miss playing Solitaire.

easy one first...get your XP disk handy...then go to add/remove programs in control panel...click on "add/remove windows components) highlight accessories and press details, then put a check mark in the games box and press ok then next, when the computer asks for the XP disk put it in the drive and let it go

1.)How can I remove a half-installed Windows XP from my computer?

we need two pieces of information

first press start, then run, then type "c:\boot.ini notepad" (without the quotes) then press ok...a notepad window should open up with the boot.ini file contents...copy the contents of that file in with your next post

second open up my computer, then open the C:\ drive...how many windows folders are there?

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
2.) I tried that and got

The disk space on D: is insufficient for the components that are currently selected You will need to change your components selected.

1.)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

There is only one Windows folder in C:\

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
awesome! hehe

i'm going to assume that the "d drive" is a second partition on the same hard drive as the c drive right?

also...if you don't select either of the options in the boot loader..the system loads into the working windows right? not the half loaded one?

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Yes, I have two hard drives in my computer. C: and D:.

Yeah, the working windows is on top so it's automatically highlighted. It used to be the other way around and I'd have to watch it and select the right one on the bottom in order to boot up the working windows.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Yes, I have two hard drives in my computer. C: and D:.

....that's not the answer that's correct (not your fault)....do you have two physical hard drives in your computer or more?

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

those two lines show that the two installations of windows are on the same physical disk (all the zeros in parentheses)...

or are you saying that you've got 2 hard drives...one with your C and D drives on them and one with your G drive

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
This computer itself has 20G on it- 11.1G on C and 7.43 on D. I think I was told once that they are two separate physical hard drives but now I'm not exactly sure.... G: is a separate external hard drive that I purchased myself.

I know that the extra Windows is on the same physical disk, and I believe that's what's taking up a ton of memory. You don't install Windows XP and have a single OS take up all the disk on the computer do you?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah everything i'm seeing from the stuff you're showing is that both of the windows installs are on the same physical hard drive

open up your "d" drive and see if there is a windows folder there

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Yes, there's a Windows folder in D.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry i've been having some email issues

ok....there are a few options

#1 (this is going to be the shortest option in the long run) would be to back up any personal data and start over from scratch, remove both partitions on the internal drive and install XP again

#2 would be to remove the "dead" XP and the reference to it in the Boot.ini file...that however would not free up any space on the D drive (where the working one is)...you could expand that drive with something like G parted once you got rid of the windows on C: however you may run into problems with your OS on a different named partition (some programs will only work from C for some reason)...renaming the system partition isn't really an option

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

sorry i've been having some email issues

ok....there are a few options

#1 (this is going to be the shortest option in the long run) would be to back up any personal data and start over from scratch, remove both partitions on the internal drive and install XP again

#2 would be to remove the "dead" XP and the reference to it in the Boot.ini file...that however would not free up any space on the D drive (where the working one is)...you could expand that drive with something like G parted once you got rid of the windows on C: however you may run into problems with your OS on a different named partition (some programs will only work from C for some reason)...renaming the system partition isn't really an option

I'm not going to reformat my computer just for that. Oh well.

How about the windows games? I never could get those installed.