Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound on streamed videos

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Okay, so I was cleaning up my computer and getting rid of extraneous files. I can hear sounds on Pogo.com - game sounds are just fine. But, I can't hear sound on YouTube or HGTV. When I opened my Audio and Sound Devices panel, it shows I have no sound device. How did this happen? I can hear music I have on my computer. I can hear sound in movies I have, but I seem to have lost some of my internet sound connection. This is very strange. I have restarted my computer and it still shows no audio device, although I can certainly hear some sounds, and it shows that all my hardware is working correctly. How can I restore my Internet streaming videos sound?

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Hmm, looks like some weird codecs must have been deleted. Download the KLite Codec Pack (be sure to download the full version), then run the Codec Tweak Tool that comes with it. To do this, go to Start -> Programs K-Lite Codec Pack > Configuration > Codec Tweak Tool. Check the box next to [Registry] Fix non-working system sound.

Post back your results.

- Matt

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Matt,

Thanks for replying. I downloaded the Tweak Tool, but I couldn't find anything that shows Registry - fix non-working system sound in it. The closest thing was Fixes - fix broken sound, but after I clicked this and opened up the tool a second time, it's grayed out. There is a note next to it saying "no problem detected". I haven't restarted the computer, so maybe that's the problem. I'll try that next and post back.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Restarting did not help.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
EUREKA! I got it. I followed the handy dandy guide that Abydos recommended in one of the posts below, and that did it. Thanks so much, GeekstoGo! You guys/gals rock! :)